Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: What do you use for flow?
Closed loop 19 23.46%
Closed loop with wave controller 6 7.41%
Power heads 43 53.09%
Power heads with wave controller 15 18.52%
Other (wave box etc.) 13 16.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2007, 02:31 AM

crystalz is on a distinguished road

I have a 78 gal rectangular. righthand overflow. 1 rio 20 hf split 3 ways through locline. Softies and LPS... rio flows approx 900gph
Old 05-30-2007, 02:50 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Using Tunze Nanostreams & Hydor Koralia4 right now in my 220g reef.

Anthony
Old 05-30-2007, 03:05 AM

vanreefer is on a distinguished road

180 gal (48x28x32) Dart on a closed loop with 4 returns, PCX-40 for a return, and a 6100 on a controller with plans too add another 6100 on a branch adapter)
Old 05-30-2007, 05:09 AM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny zubot View Post
Tell me about what you use for flow and don't forget to tell me what size/shape you tank is.
And you?

Greg
Old 05-30-2007, 05:17 AM

Sebae again is on a distinguished road

Trilinearmipmap I have a 90 with a mag 12 return a 1 inch split to 2 - 3/4 split to 4 1/2 inch . I added 2 H.K. #1 one to each side. Just the right amount of flow for my plate corals ,clams and donuts. Still using sugar ?
Old 05-30-2007, 05:36 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

75g (48x18x20) - 4xMJ12 on wavemaker, one in each corner, left side and right sides are together and pointed at each other to get the "back and forth" effect.

110g (30x30x30) - 2xStream6100 on multicontroller, left and right, alternating to the "back and forth" effect. Plus a serious amount of flow from the sump return (I don't recommend this approach at all, don't make your sump return a main source of water flow in the tank).

In my opinion, cube tanks suck to get a good flow pattern happening because there just isn't enough length of tank to get a good wash going. For every drop (so to speak) of water that goes one way, there's a drop going the other way.

I'm going to be moving my streams into my 280g if/when that ever happens, in which case I'll either change the cube into a Seio on a Wavysea waving back and forth to get the "back and forth" effect. Or I might just put two 802 powerheads on a wavemaker.

Or I might just tear the tank down, I haven't quite decided what I want to do with it yet.

40g (24x24x12), 4 powerheads (2 MJ12, 2 Hagen 301's), on wavemakers plus SCWD on sump return. Not too bad of an alternating pattern but again kind of hard to get a really good pattern going on account of the weird shape of the tank.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:22 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny zubot
Tell me about what you use for flow and don't forget to tell me what size/shape you tank is.

And you?
Right now I have 2 MJ1200 & 1 JBJ ?? in the tank. I'm trying to get a idea of what works well for people for when I get my Cube going. I was planning on a closed loop but as Tony said they can be a pain because of their shape. So I might have to be creative.

I have a line on a Dart (3600 GPH) for the closed loop, and I was thinking of having the returns come through the eurobracing. Maybe I'll acquire a 4 way controller for it. Any thoughts?
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 05-30-2007, 06:40 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny zubot View Post

Right now I have 2 MJ1200 & 1 JBJ ?? in the tank. I'm trying to get a idea of what works well for people for when I get my Cube going. I was planning on a closed loop but as Tony said they can be a pain because of their shape. So I might have to be creative.

I have a line on a Dart (3600 GPH) for the closed loop, and I was thinking of having the returns come through the eurobracing. Maybe I'll acquire a 4 way controller for it. Any thoughts?
Cube with OM 4-way bottom drilled, here
Old 05-30-2007, 07:16 PM

justinl is on a distinguished road

currently my 60gal just has 2 x MJ 1200. Its a little on the low side because it has a frogfish and will have a lion. both of which require lower flow.

I run my 8gal biocube with a stock pump (106gph i think), but i may upgrade to an MJ600.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:51 PM

Discustopia is on a distinguished road

Closed loop on my 250 is to be controlled by two true union rebuildable ball valves on continuous rotation spun by disco ball motors at 3rpm. Cost was half of an OM 4way and allows me to run 1-1/2" piping throughout. I also have a damper motor to controll the overall flow which I plan to connect to the moonlight output of my Aq. controller to vary the intensity automatically.

250G (under construction) 111"L x23"D x23"H w/45G refugium, Schuran Skimmer, Dart Closed loop, Dart return.