Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 03-07-2012, 02:31 AM

bigal is on a distinguished road

YouTube has a couple side by side comparisons. From the recerch I did and first hand seeing them in action side by side I went with the sols
Old 03-07-2012, 02:36 AM

bigal is on a distinguished road

Goreef sells them four 399$ that's where I got mine free shipping over 150$
Old 03-07-2012, 04:18 AM

Oilers is on a distinguished road

Marko,
Where did you get the U-channel from? Which store did you get your Sols at? PM me if you like. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:44 AM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers View Post
Marko,
Where did you get the U-channel from? Which store did you get your Sols at? PM me if you like. Thanks.
i got sols from red coral and i got the U channel from totem. they also sell them at princess auto
Old 03-07-2012, 05:09 AM

Raf is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Raf

Set up both brands up for many clients and like both BUT. given the price difference my preferance would be for the AI. Although the Radion does have more features and tech advantages(like wireless communication vs messy wires between fixtures), has better spread(although not better depth) and replicates the full color spectrum more adequetly. Also, not sure if the AI's come in black, but the white on silver is not my first choice for a light fixture...

Some up sides to the AI is that its fan is located near the top of the unit rather than the bottom....for those without a glass top, the salt will eventually find its way into that Radion fan. Also the ability to add legs and not just be limited to hanging kits as with the Radion.

Raf & Diana

Our Reef Tank:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...5&id=883435639

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aquat...es/46469801680

Our Photos:
Nikon D7000 DSLR w Nikkor 2.8d 60mm micro lens amongst others
Old 03-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Yes, they come in black now. Which was the flip over for me to consider them. Gotta be color coordinated
Old 03-07-2012, 09:51 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

I have owned several different leds fixtures including a pacific sun unit. I am strong beliver on leds as I believe they are the future of reef keeping. I am currently running AI sol units on my sps dominate tank with great success. All the sps has displayed tremdously amount of growth and coloration due to a higher par reading that AI has compare to most other units or fixtures. I am running them on an identical schedule compare to my 250w metal halides with the exception of ramping up and down during sunrise and sunset. Its like I am running 400W MH(the 400 was used on the my tank prior to 250s)without any of the excess heat and electricity cost. It's like I got the best of both worlds. If I was asked to rate the performance of one AI, I would tell you that 1 AI sol unit has the intensity equal to a 400W MH with the coverage 12"X24" area, and if you are looking to grow sps coral with good coloration that won't break the bank, my friends this is the light for you.

Going through this thread, it was almost humorous to hear some of the arguments people are making. You need 2 AIs to 1 radions for coverage. I for one can tell you that's bull$***. Comparing par rating one would almost think you will need 2 radion to 1 AI instead. Don;'t get me wrong, I do like the radion's added benefits with wireless control being on the top of the list, but the radion is designed to replicate radium 250 metal halides bulbs which would make it less intense and the only reason it has better coverage is because it doesn't use any lens which makes them a 120 degrees spread compare to 70 degrees on the AIs.

Bottom line for me will always be as long as the fixture can grow sps coral that's all it matters to me! I have seen many sps tanks using AI's with great success(search reef central for more reference) which reinforced my decision on the purchase, plus not to mention all the saving I got which I can use towards other stuff for the tank.

Talk is cheap so if anyone wants to argue please show me some pictures of your tank with radion running before you start. A picture speaks a thousand words.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 03-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
Bottom line for me will always be as long as the fixture can grow sps coral that's all it matters to me!
That pretty much sums up my requirements. I'm going to try three on my 180 and see what the acros think
Old 03-07-2012, 10:06 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
That pretty much sums up my requirements. I'm going to try three on my 180 and see what the acros think
you can always add more as your needs dictate. thats the beauty of buying modular LED pendents over a single large fixture.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoD View Post
you can always add more as your needs dictate. thats the beauty of buying modular LED pendents over a single large fixture.
No, I can afford 3. Almost..If that doesn't work, the MH go back on.