Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2009, 08:04 AM

bulletsworld is on a distinguished road
Talking *Bulletsworld's 230G Tank Build*

So, late last year, back in Edmonton, I called off my wedding, got laid off work, sold my half of the house to the ex for a $1, with everything in it. I shut down my 90gal tank, selling everything and before I knew it, I was out of the hobby for the first time in 5+ years In January of this year...I did the unthinkable, I left my friends, family behind and followed my heart... I moved to Calgary with my bulldog to start a new life... a new job, a new man, new vehicle, new city, new fish stores. However, I had no fish tank. I would just look into tanks at the fish stores, reminding myself of no water changes & maintenance required. I would just... look. YEAH RIGHT!

I always dreamed of building my own 230 gal. That's where it starts right? In all the years in the hobby I've never setup or had a drilled tank. I'm serious! I always had everything like heaters right in the tank display & all the equipment hanging off the sides. So how does one go from being out of the hobby to starting back with the biggest tank she's has ever had???

Here is my 230gal dream coming true.....

230gal Custom Build Tank, Room Divider (three sides viewable starfire glass) with a sit up bar on one side.

The Tank
I moved into a house that has a large kitchen island and thought what a perfect place for a tank! Went to Gold's Aquarium and custom ordered a 230gal (72 x 30 x 24), with a (7" box built attached external overflow (more space inside tank), with two 1 1/2" drains down the overflow and three sides of tank viewable in beautiful Starfire Glass. NICE! Paid $954.00 with tax. Last minute I custom ordered the sump, cost $157.00 with tax. Tank & sump, ready in two weeks!. I was SUPER EXCITED!

On August 10th... The love of my life (Derek), got his electrician buddies together for the tank pickup! What are the odds that one of the electricians is an old time canreefer that i met years back in Edmonton! How cool is that! Small world hey! Special thanks to KrazyKuch for helping out & bringing those awesome suction cups!

Here is a pic of the guys loading the tank & sump from Gold's Aquarium. Gold's staff all around.
Good thing Kurt brought his truck! Originally the 230gal was going in the Jeep. Good thing the sump fit in the Jeep!

Three guys and a girl (ME) lifted the tank and hauled it in to the house. O.k... the guys did most of the work really.
We had to take the patio doors off to get the tank in with the suction cups on!

Here is the Sump. My Bulldog saying, "What the heck is this now?"

When helping lift & carry the tank in the house, I almost lost some fingers as everyone put their side down & I still had my fingers underneath the tank. HELP! Before that, I slipped & dropped my end down on my arm! Yup, this picture is the beginning of the bruise. Hard to explain this one to my coworkers! It was a tank that gave me this bruise, honest!

"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Last edited by bulletsworld; 08-19-2009 at 03:59 AM.