Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta

Old 01-20-2010, 11:24 PM

Juicy is on a distinguished road

Just about 5 min outside of Stony on Boundry Road.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

If you can't find a name, maybe post a pic of the skimmer & we can try to figure it out. A good, efficient skimmer goes a long way towards maintaining good water quality.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:51 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

sorry my mistake.. saw the DI but missed the RO. Do you know the quality of the output of your RO. if its getting old might be time for new filters. I just re read it and first thing that comes to mind is skimmer? what kind and how good. if you are sceptical about it then ya a kick ass one would be a good investment.

we are only guessing untill you get a chance to post all your levels..
Ca, Mg, Alk, PH, phosphates, Nitrates and nitrites.

also if you can find out what kind of bulbs you are running and how old they are this would be helpfull as well.

and ppictures are always good

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:18 PM

So for your viewing pleasure this is what my algea and my skimmer look like. I have added a few other pics just because. It might give you a better idea of what I am dealing with...... Any thoughts?
Attachment 5585
Attachment 5586
Attachment 5587

Last edited by Juicy; 01-22-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

How often do you clean the sponge on your skimmer? It can get clogged pretty quickly and provide a home for nitrate producing bacteria which isn't optimal. You should probably give it a thorough rinse every few days.

During your next waterchange I'd try to suck some of the detritus out of those sump baffles.

Turn your skimmer off and check the airline to see that it isn't clogged. Maybe run some hot water through. Your skimmer doesn't look like its producing very many bubbles. Maybe have a look at the pump and see if it needs cleaning as well and check the impeller.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:38 PM

BC564 is on a distinguished road

I would cut back your lights to 6 hours..like 3pm to 9pm.....that way you can still enjoy the tank ..also does your tank recieve direct sunlight where its located now?
Old 01-21-2010, 05:51 PM

I will give that a shot, I know that darn hose always seems to get clogged up with some kind of sediment. I ulsually clean my sponges every week or 2 but I will make the switch over to every few days. I have tried sucking alot of that stuff out of the sump but it seems my syphon doesn't have enough strengh to do so. I have tried stirring it up to get it floating around but I guess I will just have to try harder.

Thanks for the advise.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Yeah it can be pretty hard to get a siphon going in a sump when its only like 16" or so difference in gravity. You could hook the hose up to a pump and have the pump in a bucket. The only thing there is any large particulates might not be so pleasant for the pump impeller.

A 100 micron filter sock on your sump intake might help with the particulate buildup but again, that would have to be changed fairly often to prevent nitrate buildup (I change mine every 5-7 days).

You might also want to try an urchin for the hair algae, I've had success with them in the past, and you don't have to ship them off to the next customer after the hair algae is gone, like you do with the sea hares.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:55 PM

The tank is set into the wall directly beside a patio window. I don't think it gets direct sunlight because it is kind of off to the side of the window and we try our best to keep the blinds closed at all times. I don't know if the amount it would get would help it grow, but I have been wrong once before.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:04 PM

fencer is on a distinguished road

Can you please get your nitates and phosphates tested also you Alkalinty tested. Blue World can test them for you, maybe.....then we can decide on what is happening. Increasing your Redox level would help as well.