Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 05-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thoughts on Ebay Fixture?...

http://cgi.ebay.com/48-Metal-Halide-...item29fd77ad40

It looks pretty.
I think it's obvious it's no giesemann but the construction looks solid and all the materials seem pretty quality.

Anyone have or have seen one of these in action?

I haven't asked about ballasts, it looks like they may be internal though...

Thoughts?
Old 05-06-2010, 03:06 PM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

Pretty sure the ballast's are external, I bought a similar fixture a few years back off ebay and have had no real problems other than a ballast that got a little to much water on it. Check around though as a lot of different prices for the same unit may be available.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Banned

Hmm...
I'll drop them a line and see if the ballasts are in fact external.

Was the fixture you purchased the same or just similar?

Thanks for the input...
Old 05-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

I have seen that style before. A LFS here carries a similar Chinese made product.

Few things to consider, especially for lights. Are the UL or CSA rated? Especially if there are a few seperate sources of heat, if a fire is started will you be covered by you insurance?

What about warranty?

I have always personally been an avocate of "You get what you pay for"

Just my personal opinion.

Ken - BWA

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 05-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Banned

Spoken as I would expect any LFS to...lol

I appreciate the info, and those are all valid questions which I hope someone can help to enlighten me on through this thread.

These have been around for a while, so I'm hoping there is a canreefer with some real insight.

I remember when the Bubble Magus first came out and everyone thougt they were a pos based on their country of origin and price point...now they are getting to be pretty commonplace...

I think that you do get what you pay for, but I also know that most companies want you to pay as much as possible for what you get

No harm in trying to find a good deal I think.

And as a wide note, would any sane Insurance company cover a fire due to aquarium electronics?
regardless of certification of the fixture or equipment being used?

Last edited by gobytron; 05-06-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Vendor

Insurance companies are not stupid, think of it when a care is stolen due to owners stupidity (going into a store leaving it running unlocked), but they don`t refuse the claim.

Actually if the product is certified, and has gone through testing, and you use in the way it is intended without modification. They will cover it.

You will also notice if you call your insurance company about putting in a large fish tank. They will tell you as long as it is NEW they will cover damages of flooding.

This way they can go after the manufacture if there are any issues. I have actually dealt with insurance claims for some of my customers.

I have been hobbies for over 30 years, and a LFS own for only 1. Those were personal opinions and experiences, not professional.

One of the things that I have noticed in this profession, you will find that most Euro products are far more superior than N.American. Let it be in design, manufacture, or research.

Depending on the product, a close second is the US and Japan, they don't just steal designs then copy them with cheaper materials and methods of manufacture. They actually will reverse engineer the product to find how to make it better.

I have seen too many Chinese products in the past, and have found that most WILL be an inferior product, with the odd exception.

Ken

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 05-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Banned

Well, here's to the odd exception.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Vendor

If you don't care about quality, you can deal directly with the suppliers.

http://www.reefshops.com/sunsun-hld-...ight-fans.html

The light is even 1/2 the price than the ebay one, and shipping is only 100 more. So you actually end up saving another $200.

But is it worth it?

ken

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 05-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Banned

Is it worth it?

Ken, that is EXACTLY the question I have posed in this thread.

Do you have any information besides the price and origin of this unit that would actually define this fixture as low quality and wwould thus justify saying to deal directly with the manufacturer if I don't care about quality?

Now, can anyone offer any experience based insight?

P.S.
I care about money as much as I care about quality but if you or anyone can actually tell me why this fixture is a pos, I would be all ears...or eyes as it were.

Last edited by gobytron; 05-06-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:25 PM
bvlester

Insurance companies will void your house insurance if the item that causes a fire is not CSA approved. There have been some cases of products like fridges and dryers sold from Costco a few years back that caused fire and the people were not covered. because the products back then were USA approved but not CSA approved. Insurance companies find any way out of paying if they can. That is why you have to Waite until the cause of the fire is found out before they start paying anything out in most cases

As far as the light it is your choice and you have to consider all your options. There has been a few good lights for sale on here in the resent months. Have a look at them.

Bill
Bill.