Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 01:02 AM

mildcustom2 is on a distinguished road

The staff here just can't seem to get away from the out cry from people to allow vendor ratings. I feel sorry for them being caught in the middle of an ethics debate. Its never going to happen no matter how hard you try. It just ends up with people getting frustrated (staff and members) . There is no solution to this as it is the rules and it must be followed.

Hey I agree I wish it would happen so that the bad vendors were not allowed to conduct there criminal dealings on this forum, but I know it will never happen as I have spoken out on this forum several times as to the obligation of the board to not support this type of vendor but thier hands are tied. Oh well. I'm over it now. Just wish this subject was never brought up again.

Speaking of an ethical issue.

Anyone want to buy my soon to be EX-Wife

Sell her to you really cheap.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:51 AM

24storm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
If we were taken to court, even if we're in the right, it involves our time and money to defend ourselves. The owner of the board currently resides in Hong Kong and I can't see that he really wants to fly here to deal with something like that, or hire someone to do it on his behalf.
Thats the whole point here. It's just way easier to run a board without all that trouble. If a business screws people, it will go out of business eventually. We certainly don't need a public broadcast system for vendor alerts, and if someone really wants to complain, file with the BBB, and others can check with the BBB for reviews.
Now, another point, which does not apply to all cases, but many. Everyone on this board has already bought stuff for their tanks. If the place you bought from treated you well, be loyal to them. Don't worry about some new shop that is $2 cheaper, stay with who is good to you. There are plenty of comments on this board over the last 7 years touting how wonderful many of the regular sponsors are. You all gave them these comments, so stick with them.
I heard of one person who was blatantly warned about not shopping at one particular store. They took your money and didn't deliver. Well, this person tried anyway, becase, well, it looked like a deal. Hmm, well, it wasn't and they should have listened to their friend.

Stick with who's been good to you, and you don't need to post reviews.
Thats easy to say when your not the one out the $1400.00 that i could have been warn about if people were allowed to inform others.

Keith
Old 04-17-2008, 02:11 AM

Zylumn is on a distinguished road

This is an important thread and topic and I would like to share my opinions based on being a consumer and a Future Vendor.

1) I agree with CR Staff negative reviews will only cause trouble and should be banned.
2) CR Staff are currently allowing positive reviews which is great.
3) Vendors advertise on this site to increase customer business, not take away or hinder it.

Many sites like Ebay, Frags.org, etc use a numbering system for grading Vendor performance.
What if Canreef set up a Positive Review Site (like a Poll) that gave you 5 categories to grade from 1-5 1 being Good and 5 being Perfect. Only your grade selection would be allowed on the Review Site and possibly (name???)
Also Canreef would allow the vendors a choice whether they wanted to be part of the Review Site or not.
This would be a win win situation for us all as a customer we can see the vendors that are doing exceptional and make our decisions to purchase accordingly. As a vendor you can choose whether or not this review site would benefit your company or NOT and choose not to be part of the review area.

Just my personal opinion and hope that someone can chime in and help take this to the next level with more ideas.
Kevin
Old 04-17-2008, 02:35 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24storm View Post
Thats easy to say when your not the one out the $1400.00 that i could have been warn about if people were allowed to inform others.

Keith
I'm sorry you're out money, but it is not the responsibility of Canreef to monitor vendor conduct. If you've been taken advantage of, I would pursue legal action through appropriate means.
This topic is something we've discussed at length for many years, and we've adopted a policy that works for us in running this board. It's not designed to assist anyone in stealing your money, it's just how we can manage the board long term with the least amount of trouble.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:07 AM

Doo is on a distinguished road

Pics and price please...

does she clean? is she reef safe?

HAHAHAH who am I kidding I already have one & ONE IS PLENTY!

Trying to lighten up the topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildcustom2 View Post
Speaking of an ethical issue.

Anyone want to buy my soon to be EX-Wife

Sell her to you really cheap.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:18 AM

24storm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm sorry you're out money, but it is not the responsibility of Canreef to monitor vendor conduct. If you've been taken advantage of, I would pursue legal action through appropriate means.
This topic is something we've discussed at length for many years, and we've adopted a policy that works for us in running this board. It's not designed to assist anyone in stealing your money, it's just how we can manage the board long term with the least amount of trouble.
Has anyone ever attempted legal action with a vendor? PM if you have any experience with this. Judging from the response to this thread i am not sure about Can Reefs policy working.

Keith
Old 04-17-2008, 03:45 AM

mildcustom2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'm sorry but I can't stay out of this now. Its your responsibility to ban any vendor from this forum that you know is not a good vendor, comitting criminal acts against canreefers (fraud, theft, etc.etc.). Do you not realize that you are also legally liable if you support a vendor that is comitting a criminal act against people on this forum and are aware of it. Perhaps if someone has a beef with a vendor you should send them a pm and listen to what they have to say. Sometimes people just want to vent and all they need is someone to care.

I realize that this post may cause me to loose my membership (I'll just sign in under a different name) but I need to voice my opinion.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:17 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

So at that point, I think we all want to know 24storm, is this a vendor in our forum ?

I for one will PM you to find out who stung you in case I can help.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:22 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

I realize that this post may cause me to loose my membership (I'll just sign in under a different name) but I need to voice my opinion.
Why do people feel the need to post such stupid comments?? Never has any one lost their posting rights for this kind of thing, so give it a rest already.

Now, we provide a board to discuss reef related topics as defined by the ownership of the board. We are in no way responsible for anything a store does in it's dealings with any customer, whether they advertise here or not. And for what it's worth, the only store that has had this brought to our attention is no longer an advertiser on this board.

We are not looking for vendor rating methods or ideas, we just do not allow it here. Period. This is not something that will be discussed or negotiated.

If anyone can find a board that supports it, please post it there.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:07 AM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee
Default Lets compare......

Quote:
I'm sorry but I can't stay out of this now. Its your responsibility to ban any vendor from this forum that you know is not a good vendor, comitting criminal acts against canreefers (fraud, theft, etc.etc.). Do you not realize that you are also legally liable if you support a vendor that is comitting a criminal act against people on this forum and are aware of it. Perhaps if someone has a beef with a vendor you should send them a pm and listen to what they have to say. Sometimes people just want to vent and all they need is someone to care.
I am going to step in quickly here to revert some questions back to you for consideration in response to your comments:

1) Is the Vancouver Sun or The Province or ANY newspaper responsible to ban any vendors from their Classified sections that they know are not a good vendor?

My guess is no however feel free to contradict my beliefs if otherwise.

2) Are the media companies also legally liable if they support a vendor committing a criminal act?

My guess again is no because if one is to look at the numerous "Massage" parlours and Personal Ads in the Classified section where in essence it is public advertissement of prostitution.

How about the car vendors that sell used cars that later turn out to be vehicles with altered VINs? My guess is again no they are not legally liable because they are only providing a service for these companies to advertise in their papers.

3) If the victim consumers of these Personal Ads, Massage Parlours, or car vendors were to write to the media company complaining about their experience with that particular company, are they OBLIGATED to publish this information?
My guess is they are not obligated to publish this information but they will if it is news worthy.

This analogy is not much different from Canreef's position and policy on this matter. Both environments are privately owned and they both set their own policies and regulations. Vendors will advertise and Canreef provides a service for these companies to do so. For reasons already outlined very well by Brad, Canreef is not obligated to publish vendor ratings and they are moderated by the staff accordingly.

We (the staff and owner) sincerely want to keep Canreef as positive of an environment as possible and this topic has been discussed many times before publicly and amongst the staff. We have all collectively agreed on this therefore we hope you all understand the position we have taken and that this decision had not been made in haste.

Having said that I understand you may have been angry, upset or maybe even irrational when you wrote your post however I will encourage you to conduct in better mannerisms with the concludiing remarks of your posts.
Closed Thread