Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 03-09-2014, 01:58 PM

Razor is on a distinguished road
Question Adding another Angel

Some of you guys have had some really good luck mixing angels together, so I need your opinion. My first angel was a Flame, then added a Swallowtail. I wanted to give the Swallowtail a partner, so I added a female. Long story short, didn't work. So, what do you think about adding a Potter's angel?
3 - Fluval E300 heaters
Old 03-09-2014, 02:03 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Was it the flame or the swallow tail that was aggressive? My personal experience is that flame angels are aggressive. I tired to add a coral beauty and he destroyed it.

360 Reef Tank
Old 03-09-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTang<3 View Post
Was it the flame or the swallow tail that was aggressive? My personal experience is that flame angels are aggressive. I tired to add a coral beauty and he destroyed it.
It actually was the Swallowtail. At first he was ok with her, then as time went on (after the first day), he went after her constantly. I put him in the sump for almost a week and moved the rock around. But no sooner had I put him back in the display, he was on her. She wouldn't even come out to eat. I had then decided to return her the next day but unfortunately when I got home from work she had died.
3 - Fluval E300 heaters
Old 03-09-2014, 02:27 PM

I've been also thinking about trying an acclimation box. If that doesn't work I think that will be it for anymore new angels.
3 - Fluval E300 heaters
Old 03-09-2014, 04:46 PM

George is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you have a male swallowtail since you said you added a female as a partner. Male swallowtail can be aggressive. Acclimation box is a good idea. Get the new guy to eat and be strong(in a QT preferably). A strong fish can take a lot of crap. Potters will be worse since they are shy at the beggining.
Good luck.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:26 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Sounds like you have a male swallowtail since you said you added a female as a partner. Male swallowtail can be aggressive. Acclimation box is a good idea. Get the new guy to eat and be strong(in a QT preferably). A strong fish can take a lot of crap. Potters will be worse since they are shy at the beggining.
Good luck.

Is it east to distinguish male from female? Would it be possible they are from different areas... If that makes an issue.

Even clowns won't always bond. Can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink, as the saying goes.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:47 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

All of my experiences have varied fish to fish. All of them are different, just like humans. Some will be nasty, and some will be awesome. I would personally just try a different fish.

Acclamation box sounds like a good move. You could also try removing the aggressor for a while. Add the other one to the display for a while so it can establish some territory, and then try the aggressive one in the acclimation box.

They call it addiction for a reason...