Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Configure e-mail Email can be one of the most frustrating pieces to setup. Most of the issues come from having the wrong port, userid or password declared. In addition, some of the biggest email services (Gmail, MSN, Hotmail for example) won't work with the Apex because they require SSL (Secure Socket Layers) which the Apex doesn't support. Try it first with your ISP‟s email server and your account information. More often than not, that will work. If it doesn‟t work, it could be the port or SSL (see below). One email service that is free and doesn‟t require SSL is GMX (www.gmx.com) and you can use their email server to send email directly to your SSL email account like Gmail or Hotmail. You have to first establish your GMX account and get an email address. You will use this to access the GMX SMTP server. Configure your email in the Apex as below using your GMX email address as the “From” address. Note that the following configuration options are for GMX. If you are using another email service, your options will be similar but may not be identical. For example, with AT&T you need to „disable‟ email authentication. Most email services have instructions for configuring their service to work with Microsoft Outlook. You can look to that for specifics on server name, port, etc.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:55 PM

Slider777 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I forget the reasoning, but you probably need to set up a gmx.com email address and forward that to your regular email. Have you got the unofficial Apex User Manual? It's detailed in there.
+1

Apex email is a bit of a pain, but following the steps outlined in the unofficial guide definitely helps. Aquattro posted the exert for setting up your email but here is the link to download the entire unofficial guide http://reeftech.webs.com/ It explains everything far more clearly then the guide that comes with the Apex, in my opinion.

Good luck!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:39 PM

Midway is on a distinguished road

Thanks very much for your help guys. yep I went ahead and opened an account with GMX and it worked !!!!

Thanks very much again.

Man get to know yourself and you will get to know the Universe and the Gods!!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:32 PM

Midway is on a distinguished road

Guys, another question I got on this one is; do you guys setup the controller to access it from the internet? what application did you end up using?

Man get to know yourself and you will get to know the Universe and the Gods!!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:21 PM

Slider777 is on a distinguished road

Ya I access mine remotely from my iPhone. You dont need any application, you just need to configure your router to allow access from the Internet. They detail how to set the apex up for remote connections in the guide I posted above.