Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 07-09-2008, 05:07 AM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

I hope all you smashers and head choppers don't have dogs. My fish are my pets, I couldn't do it.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:23 AM

The-new-guy is on a distinguished road

I have dogs and I think the fastest way possible is the best way for the fish, just try and hit my dog in the head with a brick he would take that as a insult and remove your arm

As long as its quick clubbing, head removal what ever, and you can "do it" have at er....
Old 07-09-2008, 05:46 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Cleaver.

Actually had one member CO2 the fish and watch them all peacefully float to the bottom......

I dread the day for Trig...hope he dies peacefully in his sleep...
Old 07-09-2008, 05:58 AM

chevyjaxon is on a distinguished road

feed the fish to the dog

or better still, put it in a bag of tank water and stomp it the fish will end peacefully all options are better than watching an animal suffer with a disease until it dies
Old 07-09-2008, 01:14 PM

Moogled is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater View Post
Ok, I’m taking a breath here to try and say this in the least offensive way possible…I was merely stating that that a person is trying to do the right thing-on every front and has gone to the Canreef population in hopes for a solution, not just some off the cuff comment tossed out at random. It’s a hard position to be in-for sure-and I don’t envy anyone who is, or has been, there.

With that, I agree with you that most of us care more about the actual well being/loss of the fish. When I began my post, your last line was not there…it simply ended with the “hubbub” comment-which (I found) was a bit harsh. The line you subsequently added (while I was typing) did take the edge off the message you were trying to convey, and your most recent post actually explained your point of view quite well-which I respect. And you are right in that Nats needs to take the useful information that has been posted, and do whatever can be stomached.

Emotions, ethics, and queasiness aside, how does one end a fish’s suffering? You make a valid argument for smashing-albeit one I just don’t know if I could pull it off.

Peace-
~M
I apologize if I came off harshly, I often edit my posts multiple times over a short time period in lieu of something more informative.

I accept that there are many fish enthusiasts out there who choose to use less taxing method to euthanize fish, but personally I do not have a preoccupation with securing a "romantic death" for my pet fish. Many people come to form bonds with their fish like any other domesticated animal, but there would certainly be no call for pushing a slab of concrete over a dying canine.

It's all semantics, but a large amount of force will pulverize a small fish instantly. However, most of my fish are fairly small so smashing them won't always be a good option with Triggers or Tangs.

Last edited by Moogled; 07-09-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:17 PM

ShrimSkin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoonTang View Post
Has anyone here ever gone fishing and done anything other than a good clubbing to kill their fish? Do you carry clove oil in your tackle box? Why should 1 fish be any different than the other? I think humanely means as fast and painless as possible. Its a small fish, simply chop its head off with a cleaver, I promise you that little nemo wont even feel a thing.

Ahhh logic, isn't it a great thing?
Old 07-09-2008, 07:00 PM

A story because I'm feeling creative.

You've shipwrecked on an island and taken in by a group of savages, but the ordeal has left you mortally wounded and in severe pain. Through hand signals and primitive language they manage to communicate to you that you're dying and the best thing would be to put you out of you misery.

The head medicine man tells you you have 3 choices. You can be taken to "The place of The Great Smashing" and be crushed to death by a giant rock, Zug-Zug is willing to chop your head off on compassionate grounds, or you can be frozen in the freezing chamber left behind by the extra- terrestrials.

Which way would you choose.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:18 PM

WhoPoopWrasse is on a distinguished road

Since they are primitive and without clove oil/sleeping potion
I will go with Zug-Zug

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and you get rid of him all weekend

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/sho...user=4356&sl=w
Old 07-09-2008, 07:19 PM

Ryan_Lap is on a distinguished road

choppity chop...its quick
Old 07-09-2008, 07:52 PM

Now I really think you guys are loosing your heads over this issue.