Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-25-2009, 06:48 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I hope you plan to get a larger tank for your new Achilles. Marie has one that she has been quite successful in keeping, and she believes her tank is too small for it. If I remember right her tank is a 230g. Goodluck getting him to eat...try everything you can think of, plus using garlic.

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:07 PM

reefy is on a distinguished road

naesco,myka: thanks for helping, I will keep in mind.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:41 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

When I had one I just mixed everything (pellets, nori, mysis) in selcon and some of the tropic marin suppliments. Within a couple of days it was eating everything including pellets. I got it nice and fat and moved it to my display, where it continued to eat like a pig. All along it never had ick ( I premedicated the QT with no sick fish Ick remover). A couple of weeks later in the display it was doing well and then in a span of about 8 hours or less it started breathing heavy and then slowly started to turn sideways and then died by evening. Never did find out what it was, as not symptoms, but it was suggested that it may have been flukes. Never tried one again.
Good luck with yours
Old 03-25-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Man View Post
When I had one I just mixed everything (pellets, nori, mysis) in selcon and some of the tropic marin suppliments. Within a couple of days it was eating everything including pellets. I got it nice and fat and moved it to my display, where it continued to eat like a pig. All along it never had ick ( I premedicated the QT with no sick fish Ick remover). A couple of weeks later in the display it was doing well and then in a span of about 8 hours or less it started breathing heavy and then slowly started to turn sideways and then died by evening. Never did find out what it was, as not symptoms, but it was suggested that it may have been flukes. Never tried one again.
Good luck with yours
sorry to hear that but I will try my best to keep him alive I have been wait for this guy for almost a year!!
Old 03-25-2009, 08:24 PM

animalcrossing is on a distinguished road

bye bye macro/micro well all algae lol beautiful fish cant wait to get one myself
Old 03-25-2009, 09:03 PM

andestang is on a distinguished road

I've never owned one but in all the research I've done is that along with a big enough tank and just as important they also require very strong water flow to keep them happy. JMO

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:34 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

I do hope you've got a monster upgrade planned for the future .
My achilles is the most active fish I have ever owned (and I have had a few) and can go 0 to 60 in nothing flat, My tank is a 6ft long, 175g bowfront and he uses it all.( I will be upgrading to an 8 ft long tank in the near future just because of him)
Try and encourage him to eat meaty foods as well as nori and put a tunze stream (or vortech) in the tank for him. Mine loves to play in the current and one of the signs that my powerheads need cleaning is when he no longer plays

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 03-25-2009, 09:55 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
My achilles is the most active fish I have ever owned (and I have had a few) and can go 0 to 60 in nothing flat, My tank is a 6ft long, 175g bowfront and he uses it all.( I will be upgrading to an 8 ft long tank in the near future just because of him)
Try and encourage him to eat meaty foods as well as nori and put a tunze stream (or vortech) in the tank for him. Mine loves to play in the current and one of the signs that my powerheads need cleaning is when he no longer plays

ROFLMAO... I love how he does most of that upside down, like its no big deal.. Awesome vid marie.. thanks!

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 03-25-2009, 10:22 PM

wow Marie your Achille looks awsome on the video I wish mine could be like that too... as for tank upgrade probably by the end of this year.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:26 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
Awesome video and beautiful fish!

You know that must be an Achilles "thing"...they love to play! And yes are so active. I remember seeing Brads (untamed) Achilles acting much the same way when I have been to his place. Maybe he will join in too since you and him seem to have had the greatest success on Canreef with this species.