Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 07-21-2011, 07:23 PM

Leon71 is on a distinguished road
Default Going to the island.

I am looking for suggestions of things to do on Vancouver Island. It will be me, the girlfriend, and our three teenage kids. Is the Shaw Ocean Discovery centre worth going to? We will be going to Butchart Gardens, Tofino, Cathedral Grove, and possibly the mill tour in Port Alberni? Where's the best fish & chips place? What about any boat tours?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Leon
Old 07-21-2011, 08:27 PM

Werbo is on a distinguished road

In Tofino, Chesterman Beach (at low tide) is awesome for walking. Wickaninnish Beach (not the same beach as the resort) is also really nice. Boat tours leave Tofino harbour for whale watching and also go to the hot springs. I've never done it but want to. Roy Henry Vickers art gallery is first class and free in downtown Tofino.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:21 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Goats on the Roof market in Coombs on the way to Tofino/Cathedral Grove. If you miss out on this you're missing out on one of the best things that island has to offer. Also this is right by Parksville and Qualicum and the beach in particular in Parksville is fantastic. There is a provincial park called Rathtrevor also in that area that you don't have a hope of getting into now for camping, but you should go as a day trip if you can because at low tide the water is a solid kilometer out and the sand flats are full of amazing things particularly at low tide (gooey duck clams that squirt at you, sand dollars, etc.) Do a whale watching tour either out of Victoria or Tofino. If you're adventurous, do a zodiac whale watching tour. It's a blast!! Obviously if you go to Tofino/Ucluelet be sure to spend at least a half day at Long Beach and/or Comber's beach. The hot springs boat ride that Tyler mention, is also worth it. You get this hot spring right at the waters edge and it spills into tidepool into tidepool. The closer you get to the ocean, the cooler the water. It's brilliantly hot at the top and brilliantly cold at the bottom. Plus there is about a kilometre's walk on a boardwalk through the forest from where the boat drops you off. So pretty.

Also around Coombs/Parksville/Qualicum there is Englishman River Falls, another provincial park, don't have to camp but it's worth seeing. If you're adventurous, go for a swim there. If you're VERY adventurous, jump off the bridge. (Brace yourself that water will not be hugely warm ).

Man .. what else. I haven't even touched upon half of my favourite things out there. Ok, here's one, but it's dependent on time and budget because the ferry ride isn't cheap, but it's worth it. The northern Gulf Islands of Denman and Hornby are reachable by ferry and the terminal is going north towards Comox (a little bit north of Qualicum). You take a ferry to Denman and you can spend a little time there, or cut across and take another ferry to Hornby. The lifestyle of these islands is really something to see. On the far side of Hornby is a day use only provincial park called Tribune Bay. On a sunny day this place is just MAGIC. It is this beach of pure white sand by a bay framed by rocks along each side that has some incredible snorkeling. On a hot day you could be forgiven for thinking you were in Hawaii. (On a not-so-hot day, maybe not so much, but it's still a very pretty spot). Boats take safe anchorage in the bay and you will look longingly at those boats, wondering, look at those losers with boats. Why can't I be a loser with a boat? Instead of a loser on the beach looking longingly at the losers with boats. What is UP with that! ... ANyhow if you're lucky, you might find pretty naked ladies riding horses in the water (I did warn you that the lifestyle of these islands is something else .. and I'm not making ANY of this up.)

It's a little out of the way but Carmanah provincial park is also a magical spot. You probably don't want to put this on your itinerary though unless you have a lot of time.

You should book a "ferry" ride from Port Alberni to Bamfield (and back). The MV Lady Rose, or her sister the MV Francis Barkley, are ships right out of history and the ride is amazing.

I have been exploring that place my whole life and haven't gotten bored, or barely scratched the surface of it yet. There's Spider Lake. Or go caving at Horne Lakes.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:27 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I forgot to mention the stuff around Nanaimo.

Salt Spring Island between Victoria and Nanaimo is worth seeing, especially if you like farmer's markets and shopping for artisan-ish things. Ladysmith .. nice place. Oh! Chemainus. Chemainus has these super famous murals on all the buildings. Go check them out if you can.

Newcastle Island in Nanaimo. You take a foot ferry (it's basically just a dude and his boat) will take you there and you can walk around, very nice. If you bring your bikes, take your bikes with you and ride around the island. It takes about 45 minutes if I recall correctly and you get to listen to the ferries sound their horns as they enter and leave Departure Bay terminal. Somewhere around there is a floating pub too.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:42 PM

Awesome ideas. Thanks Tony. We will have a solid four days on the island, which might be just not enough time for everything. But, I want to get the kids a little more aware of nature and it's beauty. Away from the all powerful tv.

Keep the ideas coming.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:57 PM

Werbo is on a distinguished road

Buchart Gardens is right close to the ferries and airport. Depending on your arrival time you may want to hit that before heading to Victoria. Also near the airport is the Shaw Ocean Discovery in Sidney. It is small and meant more for kids. Sidney Spit ferry is right there for a 1/2 day trip.

In Victoria you'll hit the Inner Harbour. Undersea Gardens is there and a little bigger that the previously mentioned Shaw Ocean Discovery but it is all native westcoast fish/undersea fauna (nothing to fancy). The BC Museum is cool if you are into museums. Also, if you have a car tour Dallas Road, walk the breakwater and check out Beacon Hill Park. Good eats in the Harbour - Red Fish Blue Fish for something quick/cheap and at night you can't beat the view of the Parliament buildings from Milestones.

On hot day if you wanna hike and swim and explore an awesome swimming river check out Sooke Potholes (my personal happy place to escape). Westcoast beaches past Sooke are cool. Google Mystic Beach, Sombrio Beach or Botanical Beach in Port Renfrew. They recently paved the logging roads from Port Renfrew to Lake Cowichan for an interesting long drive to get from Victoria to Sooke to Port Renfrew to Duncan and see some nature.

There is sooo much. After 38 years on the island I still haven't seen even 1/2 of it. PM me if you want any specific details.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:37 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Werbowski View Post
In Victoria you'll hit the Inner Harbour. Undersea Gardens is there and a little bigger that the previously mentioned Shaw Ocean Discovery but it is all native westcoast fish/undersea fauna (nothing to fancy).
you forgot about old boots, tires, and other garbage.. don't waist your money on the undersea gardens, its a tube that goes to the bottom of victoria harbour and being its a very busy harber there isn't much to see. same as the wax musem if it is still open was very disapointed in that. my recomendation for things to do down town is walk, lots of shops on victoria st, but remember they are tourest traps, and then across the causeway and out to ogdin point. also check out beacon hill park. as you move out of victoria you can check out fort rod hill if your into old military instalments, where you also have a good view of the naval base.

as for fish and chips.. go to england for good ones I never found any real good ones in victoria but the co-op gas station in langford has a fish and chip place beside it that was ok. cant remember the name of it now.

Tony, in the 20 years I lived there I never heard of a goat on the roof market, is that the real name?

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:55 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Steve, you've been here, right??

Goats on the roof of Coombs market is known world wide. Yes, a real market with real goats. Kinda cool.
Tons of great fish and chips, but http://www.redfish-bluefish.com/ gets great reviews, right in Victoria.
As Tyler mentioned, Botanical Beach is cool, tons of little tide pools with burrowing urchins, my kids loved going there.
Butchart on a Saturday night hosts a fireworks display that shouldn't be missed, try to get there then.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:46 PM

KevinK is on a distinguished road

ok so my input, not knowing how long you want to stay, ore if you camp in tent, trailer ore hotel.

so come down to victoria,

visit Shaw ocean discovery, and walk a bit around in Sidney,

than when you like go to the butcher gardens (depends on how much you and the kids are into plants)

find a place to sleep

mornings head down to Victoria, se to make the day there.

find a place to sleep

make your way to the West shore, and go to Sooke (when it is nice and warm, I agree go to the pot holes)
from here you go all the way to Prot Renfrew (past all the nice beaches (Mystic Beach, Sombrio Beach or Botanical Beach ) and

you can camp on your way at Gordan river on the beach for about $15 ore drive all the way to Port Renfrew.

strawl the marina’s (ohhh thy are so nice)

from here you can ore find a place to sleep, ore drive towards gordan river / cowichan lake, and camp there

I love this short trip from sook to here (you can Easley do it in one day, but take your time and spot bears (we always do)

mornings you head to duncan, and from there towards Coombs/Parksville/Qualicum

- I think Parksville has there annual sand castle contest on, check there website !
- Coombs, thy have the goats on the roof and is noce to spend a 2 ore 3 hours

you can camp again at Englishman river falls.

mornings you head up to Cathedral grove, go for a walk and head to port albernie.

definitely take the day trip on the lady rose and stay overnight again

sorry, now my time is up, I have to go,

but you could go from here even further up island if you want and take the ferry back to vancouver
Old 07-22-2011, 04:18 PM

Thanks for all the info. I think I will pass on the Shaw centre and Gardens and go up the west coast instead. Especially if they paved across to Cowichan. Been on that road about 16 years ago and it was crazy. Definitely want to show my kids the Coombs goats. We will be stationed at Ladysmith, and doing day trips from there. Probably check out the Vancouver aquarium on the way back off the island. Then Hell's gate. I know I won't have a chance to see it all in four days, but will try to cram in some really cool things for the kids.