Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 02-05-2013, 06:09 PM

sully08 is on a distinguished road
Default Please explain this one

A person practices due diligence and quarentines a halequin tusk wrasse for six weeks in a very established 33g. He is in there with a clown fish. Both due great together, eat well, pellets and mysis. After the six weeks there are no signs of disease what so ever. I moved him over to his new home last night which is a well established 220g fish only. All fish are very healthy and there is no aggression. This morning he is swimming around, eating mysis and pellets and it looks like the other fish have welcomed him, the problem is he has some ick , is it stess of the move, will it go away, will the others get it, any thoughts?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 PM

George is on a distinguished road

How exactly did you quarantine the fish?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:26 PM

Spyd is on a distinguished road

Definitely caused by stress. Is it an Aussie or from the Phillipines? The ones from Phillipines are far more prone to disease. I wouldn't worry about it much at all. As long as it continues to eat, then it will be fine. You can also add some garlic puree to the food to help boost its immune system.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:49 PM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

defiantly stress.

It may subside quite quickly, if you can catch him give him a freshwater dip.

Add garlic to food, and add a supplement like ImmunaVital or similar to the whole system.

adding a neon goby in the system is always a definite asset also (Did I mention we have a large supply of captive bred neons in stock at all times)

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 02-05-2013, 08:03 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

I would just leave him alone, try not to further stress the fish.

I, as with many, believe ICH is always there. This is an ongoing discussion, all of us with our own point of view. I don't worry about quarantining. I purchase my fish only from LFS that do their due diligence in treating, feeding and only letting the fish go for sale, when ready. These stores do exist, and I have only ever lost one fish due to disease.

Sorry to hear about your beautiful fish, I think it will be ok.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 PM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Get a UV light if you don't want to risk all you fish getting it.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 PM

sully08 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
How exactly did you quarantine the fish?
Quarentined him with about 30 lbs. of live rock, lots of flow and good filteration and did 10% water changes every week, always tested for ammonia and nitrites and there was never an issue
Old 02-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully08 View Post
Quarentined him with about 30 lbs. of live rock, lots of flow and good filteration and did 10% water changes every week, always tested for ammonia and nitrites and there was never an issue
There is your problem, a quarentine system should be void of rock and sand.

Ich can survive on/in it when not on fish

A QT system "should" be a fresh system with places for the fish to hide, using water from the DT

Everyones QT system can vary though

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 02-05-2013, 11:05 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's not good enough. If you did not QT with copper or do the hypo routine, you could still transfer ich to your DT.

I had this happen to me last year. I normally do the hypo routine, and have been 100% successful with that. However, last year, because I was also QTing some new inverts at the same time, I couldn't do the hypo, and just kept them all together in QT for 6 weeks.

The new fish looked fine, and there was no sign of ich, so I transferred them to my DT. About a month later, I noticed some ich in my DT (which had been clean for almost 2 years) and before long I had a full blown ich outbreak. It took me 2 more months of diligent feeding and frequent water changes before the ich ran its course and subsided. Unfortunately, I did lose 2 of my favorite fish, but all the rest survived OK. Ironically, none of the new fish got ich or showed symptoms, but they were obviously carriers. Maybe they were already immune to that strain of ich.

So just QTing fish for 6 weeks, without any treatment does not guarantee anything. My recommendation is hypo, though, not copper.

Last edited by Reef Pilot; 02-05-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:22 PM

George is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sounds like you just put the fish in observation rather than really proactively quarantine them. By my definition of quarantine (for marine ich), you need to use one of several proven ways of eradicating marine ich, like hypo/copper/tank transfer/chloroquine phosphate.
Since your tank is a fish only. It will be easy if you decide to treat ich on the spot.
And I can't stress enough of quarantining all your fish in general. There are stuff out there that are more dangerous than marine ich if you don't quarantine your fish. You don't want to loose all your fish, especially if you have a tank full of fish you have collected over the years.

Last edited by George; 02-05-2013 at 11:26 PM.