Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-23-2014, 01:19 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Also when choosing a return pump also consider future use. You may want to tee off it to feed a refugium or run some GFO/Carbon canisters. If you get one with more capacity than you need at first you can just put a ball valve on the discharge to get the flow you want. There are also variable speed DC pumps that are at a reasonable price these days but I have never used one so I can't comment.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:35 AM

BubblesUp is on a distinguished road

I have a small 20g aquarium that I converted last year from a freshwater discus tank but it's already 10g over landlord max. As I was going to go for seahorses, a staff member at J&L recommended I use Real Reef Rock (http://realreefrock.com/) which I'm glad I did. No bad stuff from the start and eco-responsible. If there's something I regret, it's not taking the plunge and going for a good LED from the start. Recently I was able to get a 120w LED with great spread, good feedback, etc on eBay for around $200. Here's the review: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=109013 and everything has been growing like mad. I use the Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and suggest you might start with something like that from the beginning. In restrospect, I should have invested in a good new plastic gas tank for mixing salt water that allows for easy pouring into the tank and an air knob so there's less spillage/splash. I got a large skimmer early-on but didn't do much but produce micro-bubbles until recently. Now I see why it's important. Members of Canreef have been helpful, have mentioned great "tips & tricks" and I got some great starter coral in the Buy/Sell/Trade section.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:35 AM

Abe is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Canreef. Where about in Alberta are you? . If you are Edmonton, I can come by and give you some lessons or if you preffer you can come over to see my set up. Also if you are in the area I would have free soft coral that you can have whenever you tank is ready. I also have a 36" lighting unit that I used on my 60G, it has 2x 150W MH and 2x 65W Power comact and moon lighting. It was more than enough to start my tank, it needs new light bulbs tho. I can let it go for $125 if you are interested.
230G, 3 X 250w MH , 4x 39w t5 , about 200lbs of LR, 2" of LS bed, 2 maroon clowns hosting a RLTA, 1 regal tang and 1 yellow tang, 1 blonde neso tang, 1 coral beauty, 2 scunk clowns hosting a GBTA, 1 midas blenny, and a mandarin gopy, 6 blue green chromis and 1 six line wrass.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:42 PM

SaltyDog143 is on a distinguished road

I am in Lloydminster but come to Edmonton quite often, thanks for the offer, I just may take you up on coming by for a visit to check out your tank

Randy
Old 09-23-2014, 08:29 PM

Abe is on a distinguished road

Anytime. Just let me when you are coming and we can plan something.
230G, 3 X 250w MH , 4x 39w t5 , about 200lbs of LR, 2" of LS bed, 2 maroon clowns hosting a RLTA, 1 regal tang and 1 yellow tang, 1 blonde neso tang, 1 coral beauty, 2 scunk clowns hosting a GBTA, 1 midas blenny, and a mandarin gopy, 6 blue green chromis and 1 six line wrass.