Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #1

Old 09-24-2008, 09:06 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

All i am trying to say that those who have Rare corals to frag can frag 15-20polyp zoa frag that would cost 300 on the market for the others and they could get it for 10? even if i spent the 300 on the market and could get them for 10 in the contest what does this have to do with a spending limit?. its begining to have nothing to do 300 out of pocket anymore!!

I may be complaining a little too much but i just dont feel that the frag prices are just. i had my entire tank mapped out based on fraging my coral and paying an "appropriate market value for them" cheap things mushrooms, very average zoas, etc ( and purchasing some and providing recepts) in order to spend more money on LS.

Maybe im out of line here but this $300 tank is slowly turning into a $700 tank.

Sorry i know its alot to take in but i am just thinking of keeping the playing field even.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:16 PM

tgoeujon is on a distinguished road

whens the deadline to enter? i looked through all my misc. crap and ive got both a 5.5 and a 10, so theres a good chance ill be in. out of curiosity where does a person find a small enough halide for that though (without having to build it myself ).
Old 09-24-2008, 09:36 PM

scuglass is on a distinguished road

customnano.com I think has some... but they are like 170 or something insane.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:45 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuglass View Post
Everyone seems to be going a little too hard core lol.... The rules are stated. The idea is to keep it fun and based off the NR build contest.

Whats next.. are people gonna want to convert the 250 and 300 to canadian $ :P

Less thinking about ways to change it and more thinking about how your gonna be different
I've been out all day (picked up my 10G tank) and doing some running around, and get home and I had to laugh at all the comments on this and that and prices, etc... scuglass nailed it on the head (except for the $250-300 comment... that is in CDN dollars.. )

It's pretty simple, the guidelines have been laid out, and it has been mentioned "If you don't feel you can participate with the rules/guidelines that have been laid out for the contest, your time and money is probably best spent on a tank you will enjoy and keep in the long run" (That comment is not being made to turn people away from entering, but I think it takes care of all the questioning)

This contest is suppose to be fun and to see what type of creative idea's you guys can come up with, not a challenge to see if you can "beat the system" and get everything for free.. LOL Yes, lighting is going to be tough with the budget, as I experienced this afternoon while out looking, but people always talk about how expensive this hobby is, and they are correct for the most part. This contest is going to show that you can create a kick-ass nano reef on a fixed budget.

ElGuappo, I didn't quote ur last msg, but you are right... Coral's need to be priced at the "fair market value" based either from the LS Buy/Sell section on Canreef, or J&L as they are the cheapest in Canada (except for maybe some of our frag vendors... )

This contest failed once over at NR before because of the same issues, and the guys organizing it over there this time, have come up with almost exactly what I have posted on the first post of this thread. I guess its a "Take it or Leave it" choice.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 09-24-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoeujon View Post
whens the deadline to enter? i looked through all my misc. crap and ive got both a 5.5 and a 10, so theres a good chance ill be in. out of curiosity where does a person find a small enough halide for that though (without having to build it myself ).
Oct 15, you must have a payment and a tank thread with a pic of your STOCK 5.5 or 10G AGA tank (with some crazy object of your choice inside it )... No Nanocubes, no custom built frag tanks, etc... You can MOD the heck out of the tank, but you MUST start with a Stock one...

As for the MH comment... that's all out of my hands.. I found a great little unit at big al's today a 2x24W T5-HO Nova Extreme unit, couple inches to long, but for $89... it is prolly more than enough light for a 10G.

Also, to the person who asked about the "checkpoints".. lol

Oct 15 - Payment & Tank thread with a photo of your STOCK tank (with something in it ie: pet, pop can, etc.. this prove's the photo is recent. plus its cool to see what everyone decides to put in for the photo.. )

15th of Every month - FTS of your tank on that day.

April 15th, 2009 - Final FTS of your tank emailed to me. (This will be the photo used in the voting thread to determine our winners).

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 09-24-2008, 09:59 PM

how much lighting would actually be required in a 5.5 or 10 gallon to keep sps
corals
Old 09-24-2008, 10:00 PM

phillybean is on a distinguished road

Well said JD.

Being creative is where the fun comes in.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:55 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

You and I have the same question...

I was thinking maybe 3-4 T5 bulbs, or 1 MH with a good reflector. I saw PFO reflectors come in 20" lengths, if MHs are for you. So that might work if you are doing a 10g. There are also some cool patterns out there for reflectors if you truly want to DIY it and make your own reflector?
Old 09-24-2008, 11:11 PM

Well, some bad news potentially... I may not be able to stay in the contest, I just re-injured my lower back (original injury occurred earlier this year). If I miss work, which I most likely will, which means no cash flow coming in (hourly wage job) I don't think I will have the funds to compete, let alone SETUP the tank (ie: lifting, moving, etc).

I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:13 PM

to bad! hope you heal quickly