Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-16-2015, 10:21 PM

seabreeze is on a distinguished road
Default BRYOPSIS is GONE!!!

Been a while since I posted but I just had to share in some good news! Kent Tech M really works!!!

LOL and just to let you know I got an extra bottle from J&L before posting this (just in case they might run out in the next little while LOL). And I am in no way affiliated with the product or J&L

For quite a while now I had 4 'contained' areas of bryopsis (I have the RSM500 S-series/130g tank). With weekly or biweekly water changes I would siphon and pull the bryopsis out, and it would slowly grow back.

Then about 2 months ago, the 4 areas started spreading out, ever so slowly (but surely) covering a bigger area. I also saw about 3 new pockets starting. My SPS is really growing in, and 2 of the areas were really hard to get at with the siphon hose - sometimes I got close, but paid with breaking off some SPS branches.

I have been using Brightwells Magnesium and have it on my dosing pump. Shut it off and switched over to Kent Tech M. I always run my Mg around 1470. I upped it to around 1600 with Tech M. BTW I generally found I had to use 3x the amount of Tech M in comparison to Brightwells.

I dosed daily by hand, as you do need to shake the product.

I brought all my new mixed water up to 1600 as well, before adding it to the tank. In my 20gallon BRUTE this took about 450mls - I use DD H20 salt.

I'd say the bryopsis started 'melting' around the 4th day - a lot of the bryopsis showed the centre stalk, but not the 'ferny' stuff. Nothing new ever grew... my existing bryosis continued to wither away.

It has now been about six weeks and there is NOTHING left that I can see, in my tank. NADA!!!!!!

The key is persistance and keeping your Magnesium level up. It REALLY REALLY works!!!!

No snails, inverts or starfish were killed off during my trial

Of note, I also did not run any carbon while I was dosing Kent Tech M.

I have included a video link from youtube also..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=5tDG-qlFOGU
Old 08-16-2015, 10:34 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

So, did you mean to post this in J&L forum?
Old 08-16-2015, 10:40 PM

I get my supplies from them thats the only reason for the mention

Figured they might up their sales LOL
Old 08-17-2015, 02:17 AM

So just curious why this thread got changed to the J&L forum?? Its my review of the Kent Tech M and how it worked for me.

My comment of J&L was just jokingly saying they might just run out of the stuff after my post... so I grabbed another bottle before writing this thread.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:21 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Because you posted it in Reef Supplies forum and Ray didn't think that was cool. That forum is not for supplies for your reef, it's for J&L's competitor, Reef Supplies (.ca)
Old 08-17-2015, 05:26 AM

Oops sorry, my apologies! Was an unintentional mistake!

Had meant to post under the general reef forum - somehow got misdirected.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:12 PM

jlaquatics is on a distinguished road

Aquattro,

Can we get this discussion moved to the general forum?

Jeff
J&L Aquatics Ltd.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:21 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze View Post
Been a while since I posted but I just had to share in some good news! Kent Tech M really works!!!

LOL and just to let you know I got an extra bottle from J&L before posting this (just in case they might run out in the next little while LOL). And I am in no way affiliated with the product or J&L

For quite a while now I had 4 'contained' areas of bryopsis (I have the RSM500 S-series/130g tank). With weekly or biweekly water changes I would siphon and pull the bryopsis out, and it would slowly grow back.

Then about 2 months ago, the 4 areas started spreading out, ever so slowly (but surely) covering a bigger area. I also saw about 3 new pockets starting. My SPS is really growing in, and 2 of the areas were really hard to get at with the siphon hose - sometimes I got close, but paid with breaking off some SPS branches.

I have been using Brightwells Magnesium and have it on my dosing pump. Shut it off and switched over to Kent Tech M. I always run my Mg around 1470. I upped it to around 1600 with Tech M. BTW I generally found I had to use 3x the amount of Tech M in comparison to Brightwells.

I dosed daily by hand, as you do need to shake the product.

I brought all my new mixed water up to 1600 as well, before adding it to the tank. In my 20gallon BRUTE this took about 450mls - I use DD H20 salt.

I'd say the bryopsis started 'melting' around the 4th day - a lot of the bryopsis showed the centre stalk, but not the 'ferny' stuff. Nothing new ever grew... my existing bryosis continued to wither away.

It has now been about six weeks and there is NOTHING left that I can see, in my tank. NADA!!!!!!

The key is persistance and keeping your Magnesium level up. It REALLY REALLY works!!!!

No snails, inverts or starfish were killed off during my trial

Of note, I also did not run any carbon while I was dosing Kent Tech M.

I have included a video link from youtube also..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=5tDG-qlFOGU

SEABREEZE, might need your help on this treatment.

I have been doing it for 1.5 months and still with no avail. Might have to show me how it's done...dyum bryopsis just won't die...

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 08-17-2015, 07:12 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaquatics View Post
Aquattro,

Can we get this discussion moved to the general forum?

Jeff
J&L Aquatics Ltd.
Done and done.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:07 PM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

Thanks seabreeze for pointing out this product still works for this purpose. I tried once and failed and read somewhere the recipe for the product may have changed so gave up. I also found it a bit concerning dosing something in the tank higher than a level my salifert test kit can read, it only goes up to 1500. What test kit did you use to test actual levels above 1500?

A lettuce nudibranch did a very good job of keeping it out of sight but once I ran out of Bryopsis the poor little Nudi withered away and died a short time later. After its death the Bryopsis came back in all the same spots it was before so I don't think they're very capable at removing ALL of it

How many ml's of Tech M did you add per day and your tank volume? Or how many ppm per day did you raise it over how many doses by hand? You're clarification would be much appreciated