Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-06-2010, 06:54 AM

JMes is on a distinguished road

kj

Last edited by JMes; 07-14-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Moved on

OceanicCorals-Ian- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
and for the record look at the company Solaris they didnt last long either the boards were heating up and burning out

LED lights would most certainly be the way to go and yes they do have the punch of MH, Solaris is also a bad example as they were the first to make use of commercial LED's for the aquarium and technology has immensely surpassed what Solaris first attempted. I would not choose the Viper light for a number of reasons including the costs of bulb replacements, heat, and not the best quality of some JBJ lights.

Heat is a major issue on a small tank, LED's put off very little heat and with the average photo period would last about 8 years before having to be replaced.

with some of the higher end units like the Aqua illumination, you can change out individual components for such things as technology advancements, failures, or if optional upgrades are offered.

Last edited by OceanicCorals-Ian-; 04-07-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:01 PM

shrimpchips is on a distinguished road

Despite what people have to say about their experiences with the Current USA light on their nano tanks and it being "crap", I'll disagree. The bulbs are cheap (under $15 each) to replace, but they aren't the best. But they're decent, and they get the job done.

I suspect people who didn't have success with that particular light have other issues besides lighting. I have this light and my corals look pretty good:

Overall, I'm satisfied with the unit and it's overall performance. I'd say go for it. You could always use it as frag tank lighting when you upgrade
Old 04-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Moved on

Nice Setosa!

Not sure I agree with you but your tank looks good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpchips View Post
Despite what people have to say about their experiences with the Current USA light on their nano tanks and it being "crap", I'll disagree. The bulbs are cheap (under $15 each) to replace, but they aren't the best. But they're decent, and they get the job done.

I suspect people who didn't have success with that particular light have other issues besides lighting. I have this light and my corals look pretty good:

Overall, I'm satisfied with the unit and it's overall performance. I'd say go for it. You could always use it as frag tank lighting when you upgrade
Old 04-07-2010, 10:15 PM

shrimpchips is on a distinguished road

Thanks Ian! It looks even better now that it's growing out healthily under crappy current USA 18" T5HO bulbs

I can agree that the light is no Powermodule, but it gets the job done in a format that no other fixture maker does.

My main rationale for getting it was that I didn't want the heat issues (both in the tank and in the room, as I live in a small condo).
Old 04-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpchips View Post
Thanks Ian! It looks even better now that it's growing out healthily under crappy current USA 18" T5HO bulbs

I can agree that the light is no Powermodule, but it gets the job done in a format that no other fixture maker does.

My main rationale for getting it was that I didn't want the heat issues (both in the tank and in the room, as I live in a small condo).

I like your rationale, good points!
Old 04-07-2010, 10:22 PM

doch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebae again View Post
That light would be okay for softies and mushrooms but at $360 I must be missing something.
Softies and mushrooms? 6 Bulbs... T5HO? That'll grow anything you want.

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 04-08-2010, 07:00 PM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

Price out replacement bulbs etc but MH would be my choice, mind you I've been out of the hobby for a bit. I've said it before and I'll say it again. A few years ago I got some frags from a fellow reefer who had a very nice sps dominated tank. He was growing beautiful corals under normal fluorescent lights, (shop lights from Rona). His coral had great colour but it grew slow. Go with what works for your place, you said you want low heat so perhaps something other than MH would be good for you but a small fan may be all that's needed to make MH work for you.

Doug

Last edited by BCOrchidGuy; 04-08-2010 at 07:07 PM.