Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-06-2013, 07:14 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road
Default Any Mechanical Engineers Here

Looking for a mechanical engineer to take a look at a 200,000 sqft office building in Calgary, 5-7 years old to assist in diagnosis of system failures, VFD's, electrical and overall maintenance and performance. We have 3 boilers and 6 RTU's - 4 x 100 ton units and 2 x 50 ton units. VAV's and radiant heat panels. Fully automated system. There's been 4 VFD failures in the past year or so, all electrical has been reviewed and full building shut down for maintenance completed a couple of months ago - no significant findings.

I have engineers I work with, plus the engineers who designed the system, I am looking for a completely new approach with this building. I need a fairly quick turn around (have to have a draft report comprehensive move forward plan to the owners by end of next week) and I know most engineers are extremely busy. I have a report from a group identifying the likely issues and fixes, they want to ensure this is the best approach and we are covering everything off.

Any ideas or anyone able to assist?
Old 12-06-2013, 08:27 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
Looking for a mechanical engineer to take a look at a 200,000 sqft office building in Calgary, 5-7 years old to assist in diagnosis of system failures, VFD's, electrical and overall maintenance and performance. We have 3 boilers and 6 RTU's - 4 x 100 ton units and 2 x 50 ton units. VAV's and radiant heat panels. Fully automated system. There's been 4 VFD failures in the past year or so, all electrical has been reviewed and full building shut down for maintenance completed a couple of months ago - no significant findings.

I have engineers I work with, plus the engineers who designed the system, I am looking for a completely new approach with this building. I need a fairly quick turn around (have to have a draft report comprehensive move forward plan to the owners by end of next week) and I know most engineers are extremely busy. I have a report from a group identifying the likely issues and fixes, they want to ensure this is the best approach and we are covering everything off.

Any ideas or anyone able to assist?
As far I can recall, Steve (sphelps) is a mechanical engineer.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 12-06-2013, 08:45 PM

Jeff000 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you need actual trades persons in there and not engineers.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:11 PM

I've had trades in and have a report from one. The owners want an ME to look at the overall system design and installation, review the scope of the proposed work and oversee the maintenance contract long term on a consulting basis.

The problem is it appears that although there is a PM contract in place, the full scope of work is not being completed. Plus, the equipment was likely not commissioned due to construction disputes and outstanding fees due. We don't know what kind of controls were in place for tenant build outs, if any, we know distribution is a problem in some areas. We have a really good idea of what needs to be done, but owners don't always believe trades thinking they are just out to make a buck and want confirmation from someone with letters beside their name.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:09 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I'm mech eng but that's not my field. I do stress analysis and machine design in manufacturing and petro chemical.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:19 PM

Hey Steve, do you work with anyone who might be interested in taking this on? I've contacted another group and waiting on a response. It's one of a handful of buildings in the city with this type of setup, not common at all, I've never seen this before.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:22 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

All our guys pretty much just branch off what I do. I don't have any contacts in that industry. I'd ask around but I'm at the airport, gone for a week.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:22 PM

sirruckus is on a distinguished road

We have worked with these guys before - we typically install RTU's and radiant heat in a lot of our buildings. Steve might be able to help

http://www.raemclean.com/
Old 12-06-2013, 11:33 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
plus the engineers who designed the system,
there is your problem right there

another way you could go is with a power engineer, who is experienced in large building systems, I have a friend who is the head power and in charge of maintenance in Chinook mall.

its a little bigger than the systems I am used to, but that kind of stuff is my background also, i just didn't want to go back to Alberta when I retired LOL, I saw the weather you guys are having now

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
All our guys pretty much just branch off what I do. I don't have any contacts in that industry. I'd ask around but I'm at the airport, gone for a week.
Have a great trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirruckus View Post
We have worked with these guys before - we typically install RTU's and radiant heat in a lot of our buildings. Steve might be able to help

http://www.raemclean.com/
I've worked with these guys in the past, I will contact them Monday. Ty