Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-04-2010, 01:56 AM

Polscot is on a distinguished road

new pics, caught arnold (peacock) out exploring his diggs,
tank is comming along great, coralline algae is really picking up and all the zoos are starting to spread...

infront of my strawberry Conch

proving he dosetn kill the clowns

where the name comes from

Old 11-14-2010, 03:42 AM

few updated pics, i got a free baby niger trigger, and YES i realise the tank is too small but they are slow growers once he outgrows it in a year ill be buying a 200g system, for now hes smaller then my clowns and fits in nicley shows no aggression towards any of the other inhabitants

arnold eating some cut up shrimp......cannibal

My BTA under just atenic

FTS atenic

shot of the trigger hiding in his cave, ill try to get more pics of him in the open......and yes for those that i know will say something again i know the tank is too small for a full grown trigger but hes only 1" right now and once he outgrows it ill upgrade

im pretty sure hes a niger, but when i get a few more shots ill ask for a positive ID,
Old 11-16-2010, 02:25 AM

got a few more pics of the trigger, anyone able to give me a positive ID? please

Old 11-16-2010, 02:57 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Looks like a Niger to me.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:18 PM

appreciate the responce homie
Old 11-17-2010, 08:51 PM

RDNanoGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polscot View Post
if you get a smasher he wont touch fish ive got 3 clowns living with mine, i spot feed them every 3rd day, as long as u do that they wont kill n e thing, maybe take the odd hermit, but who cares bout them :P lol, if you get a spearer then ull start losing fish

Don't kid yourself there bud.... My 7" Peacock (Dr. Zoidberg) will catch and eat fish. He's a good swimmer and picks off blue/green chromis on a regular basis especially if I don't feed him EVERY day! He also devours any CUC I put in there.... He even ate a brittle star.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:17 PM

i do agree with you, BUT did ur peacock start off 1" long and grow up with the fish it ate? there very smart creatures and learn fast, there are many many success storys of people keeping fish with smasher mantids.....that being said every mantis is different

7" thats awesome what size tank do u keep him in? id lvoe to see pics
Old 11-18-2010, 02:02 AM

I agree all mantises are different just realize big peacocks are eating machines and if you don't feed them regularly don't be suprised to find your favorite fish suddenly gone! Hence why I use green chromis... I'm not too sad if he eats a $6 fish. They usually last quite awhile though if he's fed every day.... Anything with a shell is fair game to him... I like to give him freshwater mussels from the seafood counter... Something challenging to open!
Old 11-18-2010, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polscot View Post
7" thats awesome what size tank do u keep him in? id lvoe to see pics
Yeah I've had him for like 2 years. He was about 4" when I got him. He lives in a 30x14x14 tank in my bedroom. Filtration consists of a magnum H.O.T canister and a Remora Nano on a timer to run while I'm at work. Lighting consists of a Coralife 2 bulb NO T5 fixture. He has two piles of LR to make his burrows under sitting in 2 inches of crushed coral that he moves around to great delight. Abundant macro algae grows on the rocks.

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow!
Old 03-28-2015, 02:11 PM

Default 5 year update

sadly after about 5 years my peacock died he had a bad molt, so im restarting the tank into a clown heaven, I will be putting various anemones into it and i have a couple designer clowns, system has been running steady with extremely low maintenance for 5-6 years now

A few tank photos I will add more as I upgrade, I installed 2 rapid LED custom kits I had laying around under the hood to allow anemone growth and maybe some corals once they settle in place,

here it is so far

I have a jaebo wp-10 on order to increase my flow, the coarline has run rampant and looks gear imo but it is not growing on the foam parts of the wall so I will need to think of something to fix this