Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 01-10-2009, 08:46 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road
Default Leopard Wrasse Getting Butt Kicked

I'm kind of worried about a black leopard wrasse I just put in my tank. I did my research before I bought it and my sixline, yellow tang and lawnmower blenny are kicking his butt really bad. Could this just be a pecking order and be over soon or will they kill him? I wont be able to get him out of the tank with out removing all of my rock and I'm not about to do that either. The sixline has actually took chunks out of him. I hope they all calm down. I have never had quarrels like this before.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:12 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

yellow tangs will do that my kole tang does it to all the fish that i put in there. it will stop. the 6 line you may have problems with. Mine i had bullied the wrasse all the time. you may have to take him out ........ lawn mower blennie is doing it to that is weird.....mine didnt but every tank is different.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:22 PM

CrazyFish is on a distinguished road

I was so happy to finally get my six line out of my tank. I know there a great looking fish, but great rid of him. The rest of the fish will leave your black leopard wrasse alone in time.The black and six are not compatible.
135g Tank/LifeReef Protein Skimmer/Aqua Zone Plus 200 Ozonizer/Marine Tec Dual Chamber Calcium Reactor/ A&E Kalkwasser Reactor/Two Phosban Reactors/Aqua Medic 72" Light Fixture 3-250watt DE MH 14000K and 2-150watt DE MH 20000k/70g Sump with auto-top up.
www.saskreef.ca
Old 01-10-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyFish View Post
I was so happy to finally get my six line out of my tank. I know there a great looking fish, but great rid of him. The rest of the fish will leave your black leopard wrasse alone in time.The black and six are not compatible.
There is no way I could catch the little bugger without dismanteling my aquascape. Doing that would cause more problems with my water parameters. I have yet to see the leopard wrasse today. I hope he's just hiding for now. It sucks to put something in your tank and watch it get thrashed on.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:25 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

My leopard wrasse was in first so he gets along with the six line.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:12 PM

Carmen is on a distinguished road

Hope the leopard wrasse has reappeared. Just wanted to say that I successfully evacuated my sixline for the same reasons. Caught him with a bottle trap. 2L cut the "ribbing" off the top as that seems to scare them away from going in. Put a mirror in the back and add some bait and make sure the opening is very large. Yes they could get out eventually with the hole being larger but I found it increased the chances of them going in.
I did catch every fish but him first at least once but patience won in the end!
Just wouldn't want you to lose any fish over the sixline, mine was quite aggressive as well!
Good Luck.

45 Gallon Cube with 10 Gallon Sump, Lighting 8 bulb T5, Vertex IN 80 Skimmer
-2 Occelaris Clowns, Engineer Goby, RBTA, Peppermint Shrimp
Old 01-12-2009, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen View Post
Hope the leopard wrasse has reappeared. Just wanted to say that I successfully evacuated my sixline for the same reasons. eCaught him with a bottle trap. 2L cut the "ribbing" off the top as that seems to scare them away from going in. Put a mirror in the back and add some bait and make sure the opening is very larg. Yes they could get out eventually with the hole being larger but I found it increased the chances of them going in.
I did catch every fish but him first at least once but patience won in the end!
Just wouldn't want you to lose any fish over the sixline, mine was quite aggressive as well!
Good Luck.
Yes he did reappearded today.The sixline has to go. Do you have a pic of this trap? Don't really know what you mean by "ribbing". Is that the threads for the cap?
Old 01-12-2009, 03:56 AM

Carmen is on a distinguished road

Yes, the threads - ha ha couldn't think of that word!
I will take a pic tomorrow if you like though it's not much to look at! Hey it works, although I have discovered that the fish do LEARN once they have been caught in it once (or twice). I am trying to catch that Dottyback and the little bugger is staying clear! But I figure if I leave the bottle in there long enough, he will get used to it and go in again! Started to get used to it abit more even tonight after been in there all weekend.
I googled it and found you a link with a pic.
http://ca.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkun.../fish_trap.php
Only difference is I found the mirror was the only thing that worked for the sixline (along with bait). Tried for 5 days though so you must know it it won't likely be immediate.
Good luck!

45 Gallon Cube with 10 Gallon Sump, Lighting 8 bulb T5, Vertex IN 80 Skimmer
-2 Occelaris Clowns, Engineer Goby, RBTA, Peppermint Shrimp
Old 01-12-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I will take a pic tomorrow if you like though it's not much to look at! Hey it works, although I have discovered that the fish do LEARN once they have been caught in it once (or twice). I am trying to catch that Dottyback and the little bugger is staying clear! But I figure if I leave the bottle in there long enough, he will get used to it and go in again! Started to get used to it abit more even tonight after been in there all weekend.
Only difference is I found the mirror was the only thing that worked for the sixline (along with bait). Tried for 5 days though so you must know it it won't likely be immediate.
Good luck!
Thank You. Now I just have to find a small mirror.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Good luck!
Thanks! I finally caught him today with the bottle trap. Every time he went in to it and I would try to get the trap out he would bolt out, so today I rigged up a door with another peice of plastic and some fishing line and was able to lock him in. It only took 4 days. The first day I caught the leopard wrasse so I put him in my fuge so he would be safe. He is now in my display and the sixline is in the fuge waiting to go to a new home.