Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 06-09-2007, 03:13 AM

Palster is on a distinguished road
Default Best Food for a Dogface Puffer?

I just acquired a Dogface puffer yesterday. To be on the safe side I currently have it in a 20 gallon quarantine tank. When this fish first arrived yesterday it immediately went into hiding and seemed quite stressed which is not really surprising. It did pick a little at some Brine Shrimp today but what I am wondering is what would be the best food to start feeding to really entice this fish to eat? The guy at the fish store said he had been feeding it Krill which it had been accepting. I understand these fish like to eat hard shelled foods such as prawns, crabs or mussels but I do not want to put too much meaty food into the 20 gallon tank for fear of ruining the water quality (I could always do frequent water changes if necessary). This fish will be going into a 135 gallon tank once it has gone through the quarantine period.

Last edited by Palster; 06-09-2007 at 05:07 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:10 AM

Salmon King is on a distinguished road
Default puffer

I would feed it some larger food such as mysis shrimp/clams krill and squid.Like you said it is stressed a bit.Give it time
Old 06-09-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon King View Post
I would feed it some larger food such as mysis shrimp/clams krill and squid.Like you said it is stressed a bit.Give it time
Thanks for the input. I will be going to the LFS today to pick up some food specifically for this fish. When I went to check on the Puffer today I noticed he appears to have a little bit of Ich. I have read that these fish can be sensitive to copper which is what I have always used in the past to treat Ich in my quarantine tank. Not sure if I should avoid treating with copper all together or use a small amount. The other option I have considered is doing large water changes in the quarantine tank using the water from my 135 gallon tank to try and get rid of the Ich parasites as they drop off the fish.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:33 PM

cav~firez22 is on a distinguished road

Which LFS did you get that puffer from? I had my eye on one that i was going to pick up today. lol

that would suckfor me if you already nabbed him....
Old 06-09-2007, 05:28 PM

Kabong is on a distinguished road

If you really want to entice him your best bet is live food's.
Iv'e found the little hitchhikeing crabs are easy to get and usually free or cheap.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cav~firez22 View Post
Which LFS did you get that puffer from? I had my eye on one that i was going to pick up today. lol

that would suckfor me if you already nabbed him....
I got him at Reefkeepers but they actually had one more Dog Faced puffer when I picked this fish up Thursday night.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:14 PM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

I use spectrum pellets, he just loves them. He was grey when I got him, and now he is almost half gold. Use spectrum, krill, prwns I have 3 puffers a ll really happy.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:37 PM

justinl is on a distinguished road

just start getting a feeding response using krill or something else meaty. brine shrimp dont have a lot of nutrition to them.

Keep an eye on the puffer's teeth. if left unchecked, they can grow large enough to block the puffer from eating at all. to prevent this you need to feed stuff that will grind down the puff's teeth. "stuff" may include frozen clam/mussel (do not crack the shell for him), krill (to a lesser degree), hermits, crab and snails. I would feed a staple of krill and just supplement often with harder stuff. hard stuff is not required at all feedings, but i would do it often depending on how fast the puff's teeth grow.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:19 AM

I picked up some Krill today. I put the Krill on the end of a shish kabob stick and the puffer immediately gobbled down the krill when it was placed in front of him. I ended up feeding him several Krill which he readily accepted. The Puffer now goes after the shish kabob stick and chomps on the end as soon as I put it in the tank. Once this fish starts to become more active and gets over the stress of being moved I will start to feed him something a little bit harder to ensure his teeth get worn down.

Last edited by Palster; 06-10-2007 at 04:23 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:50 PM

castaway is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to castaway

I've got a nice puffer eats anything but his teeth are starting to get long.
Feed him closed clams but they don't seem to be wearing down.
Any ideas appreciated.