Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Reefer, couple questions

I bought a tank I found for sale on another forum and to me, it's very nice but I am wondering if it's technically a good idea for a reef.

The tank is a curved (like the corners are rounded, not a bow front or a half circle) 95 gallon and it sits flush on the custom stand that it comes with, I have noticed most tanks seem to sit on the plastic trim rather than right on the bottom pane of glass, this is a concern of mine as I don't know if the liverock will break it.

It does have thick glass, 1/2 an inch or more.

The tank isn't drilled but it comes with a crappy overflow that seems to stop sucking water when the power is off and does not restart when it comes back on, I am worried about this and wonder if there is a better "store bought" overflow that I can get that does not do this.

The guy who sold it to me said he had to have this overflow custom built because the tank has strips of glass that are about 2 inches wide all around the inside of the tank, like a bracing of some sort.
can i remove this bracing?
or do they make overflows that can work with this glass in the way?

I have a couple good friends who are into reefing and I got bit by the bug and when I saw this tank and stand for a very affordable 250$ (including a bunch of live rock, he said it's 120 lbs, but I don't have a scale to weigh it) I jumped at it, but maybe I was a little premature now that I am encountering these issues and I haven't even put water in it yet.....

any advice or opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Goby.

Last edited by gobytron; 04-16-2009 at 06:21 PM.