Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-21-2011, 04:09 PM

Aquaria is on a distinguished road

Idk About that myka your one of about 10 people who's views I regard very highly so in my eyes you are an expert. Now dude wicked tank and photography I barely know how to use my camera let alone take anything of value lol hope to see mOre pics soon. Yours is one of the tanks that is my inspiration for my new peninsula although much smaller thinking 30lx18x18 anyway great job and thx for the ideas
Old 09-26-2011, 04:47 AM

sweet ride is on a distinguished road

just a couple of random shots....

Old 09-26-2011, 04:47 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Awesome.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaria View Post
Idk About that myka your one of about 10 people who's views I regard very highly so in my eyes you are an expert. Now dude wicked tank and photography I barely know how to use my camera let alone take anything of value lol hope to see mOre pics soon. Yours is one of the tanks that is my inspiration for my new peninsula although much smaller thinking 30lx18x18 anyway great job and thx for the ideas

thanks for the kind words! and good luck with your new build!

I do have to agree with you as far as myka is concern she has very good points and could be very well considered as one of the experts in this site.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
Awesome.
thanks dez! the tank is coming along! the funny thing is that I still have that itch in my hand to take it down and start over again.....
Old 09-26-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
You can still vacuum sugar sand, but it takes good technique. Use a short hose so you can put your thumb over the end, or use soft hose so you can pinch it (you can get different wall thickness, thin is easier to pinch). Buy a vacuum with a small hose, like 1/4" ID so the flow isn't so fast either. Then just shove it into the sand, and as soon as the first bits of sand get a little way up the vacuum pinch it off so the sand settles, you can play around with it like that and get the detritus out without the sand.

I bought a vacuum (I think Hagen..?) that uses a 1" pipe for the vacuum part. I bought a 36" piece of 1" pipe (it's used for undergravel filter uptakes) and cut the pipe to be just a tad shorter than how deep my water is. Looks really well. The extra length helps to get the detritus out while leaving the sand in the tank.

Low pH has many causes. The most common being either high bioload or too much CO2. Do you ever open the windows in your house for fresh air? Check for an oily film on the water surface. Pretty much any skimmer works well for off-gassing CO2, but if the house has concentrations of CO2 then all the off-gassing in the world won't help. Bioload also lowers pH as fish poop is acidic, and there are also acids released when organics are broke down through the nitrogen process. Sometimes if everything is "good" simply dripping kalkwasser at night as part replacement for calcium and alkalinity dosing will keep the pH from falling so much at night which enough to keep the pH higher during the day too.
so base on your recommendation I've gave vacuuming the sanded a second try, this time i used one of the ball valve that came with the TLF reactor, it still pickup a little bit of sand but this time I can live with it!

I do open the window around the tank whenever am around. I've also started using kalk as part of the ATO, the ph have increased a little am around the 7.8 now during the day and 7.6 at night time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
People actually vacum the their sandbeds still? Why would'nt you just get a proper cleanup crew rather than disturb the sandbed? The less your hands are in the tank or anything else disturbing things the better. Your tank looks awesome, i'm no expert but just leave things as is. The ph is'nt that bad. Theres lot of threads on here that discuss that very topic. With most of them ending with "if it aeint broke dont fix it"
Madreefer thanks for the kinds words! I do have cleanup crew a lot of them! I do believe in the saying "if it aeint broke dont fix it" but it this case I do believe that improving my ph will also indirectly impact the system in a good way.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:33 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaria View Post
Idk About that myka your one of about 10 people who's views I regard very highly so in my eyes you are an expert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet ride View Post
I do have to agree with you as far as myka is concern she has very good points and could be very well considered as one of the experts in this site.
Thanks for the kind words guys. I am not an expert though, no letters after my name.

Quote:
so base on your recommendation I've gave vacuuming the sanded a second try, this time i used one of the ball valve that came with the TLF reactor, it still pickup a little bit of sand but this time I can live with it!

I do open the window around the tank whenever am around. I've also started using kalk as part of the ATO, the ph have increased a little am around the 7.8 now during the day and 7.6 at night time.
Ah, very good! I am glad to hear you have seen an improvement, and that you have managed to vacuum the sand. It really does make a huge difference...especially in tanks with high bioloads. It is not common practice though.

Quote:
I do believe in the saying "if it aeint broke dont fix it" but it this case I do believe that improving my ph will also indirectly impact the system in a good way.
I agree. Small changes can make big differences, but small changes dont usually wreck havoc. I dont usually like to mess with pH, but your pH was really quite low. pH is a result of problems, not so much a cause of problems so it can be a good indicator.

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:40 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
just a couple of random shots....

The glass is so clean! Razor on stick to keep it that way?
Old 09-26-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaz View Post
The glass is so clean! Razor on stick to keep it that way?
The Hammerhead Float - Magnetic Glass Cleaner and a lot of elbow grease. I use to use razor but because of the fine substrate it cause more harm than good....
Old 09-26-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Thanks for the kind words guys. I am not an expert though, no letters after my name.

Ah, very good! I am glad to hear you have seen an improvement, and that you have managed to vacuum the sand. It really does make a huge difference...especially in tanks with high bioloads. It is not common practice though.

I agree. Small changes can make big differences, but small changes dont usually wreck havoc. I dont usually like to mess with pH, but your pH was really quite low. pH is a result of problems, not so much a cause of problems so it can be a good indicator.
I could tell from the water that I extracted that it helps as the water that was pulled out was fairly murky.

Ya the funny thing is that I also have an OPR monitor and although the reading is not as high as before it is still hovering at around the 400 range. The next one that I will give a try is the BRS CO2 Absorbent hope this one does the trick!

Tags
aquarium, coral, peninsula, rimless, sps