Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 11-12-2009, 02:43 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
It took me about 3 months of walks before I managed to get my heart to stop racing every time I saw another dog on our walks. It was totally worth the effort though. I used to turn around and walk the other way whenever I saw another dog, now I move over to one side of the path tell Bailey to ignore (and she pretty much does) we let the other dog pass by then we continue with our walk.
Mark, she looks nice, and what a fancy adoption center.

Laurie, I am actualy realy hoping that the new trainer works out, as I realy do like the dog, and like the other trainer said all dogs are good 95% of the time, it is just the other 5% that you have to decide weather you can deal with. I have been doing about 2 hours of training a day for over 2 months now and she is not getting any better towards other dogs, and only slightly improved on walks as if she sees another dog its all bets off.

from everything I have read the biggest problem is she is a chow chow mix and the chow is the dominant attitude, so she is not driven to please her owner only herself, she is highly protective of her owners and I feel she wasnt socalized at all when she was young which for a chow is absolutly nessisary or they get very agressive.

I am also working on a bit of a time like as after christmas my retirment is done and I have to start looking for a job so I won't have all the time in the world to work with her like I do now, and because there will be no one here all day when I start working I was planning on putting a doggy door in the garage (which is heated and insulated) with a little area for her so she could go inside if it is cold but still be able to get outside to play or go to the washroom. right now with her agression there is no way to do this as there are dogs on both sides of us and they are out all day.

I could realy care less if she ever played with other dogs, all I need is for her to ignore them.

I have been reading alot of stuff, from everything I have read from Ceaser and saw on his show, she is way worse than what he normaly calls his red zone cases, and his touch method and foot distraction doesn't work on her as she just ignores them.

everything else I have read is consistant with, forget about halties, harneses ect.. if you have a chow or chow mix with agression problems get a prong colar or domanant dog colar and learn how to do sever corection. well I don't know if I am comfterable with that level of corection even though I know it doesn't realy hurt them when done right. we also have a guy that has a real submissive dog that is willing to come over and work with us also so we are going to look at that also.

anyways sorry for stewaling your thread Mark.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:16 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

I use a harness on Bailey as I'm not comfortable with prong collars either, I got lucky though as she responded well to the "shhhing" and touch techniques Cesar uses.

I got Bailey from a rescue society that gets a lot of dogs from the woods up north and reserves. I'm not sure what her history is but she has a large thick scar that runs across her neck all the way down her front leg. It looks like she maybe got caught in barb wire at some point in her life. Bailey was 3-4 years old when we adopted her 3 years ago. She is very laid back in the house and is great with adults and children. I'm not 100% on what bread she is but her face and body look just like a Rhodesian Ridgeback, only she has brindle colouration.

Rhodesian Ridgeback's were developed in Zimbabwe (Rhodesia) and South Africa back in the 16th century, this breed is also known as the African Lion Hound. These silent pack hunters were bred by European settlers to track down a lion, or other game, then corner it and or lure it into shooting range. So these dogs were originally bred for their courage, agility, endurance and instincts. So I know what you mean when you say what a challenge certain breads can be.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:54 AM

I am on my second halti, at least the store replaced it free, they said they have never seen a dog break one befor I picked up a muzzle today and we test drove it during our walk tonight, figures not one dog out at all.

anyways here is a pic, you'll see why I want to keep her and am hoping we can get through this issue quickly.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 11-13-2009, 01:46 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
I am on my second halti, at least the store replaced it free, they said they have never seen a dog break one befor I picked up a muzzle today and we test drove it during our walk tonight, figures not one dog out at all.

anyways here is a pic, you'll see why I want to keep her and am hoping we can get through this issue quickly.

Steve
Very cute, I hope it all works out for you. When I bought Bailey's harness I made sure it had a really thick metal ring, she broke the smaller metal ring on her collar when I used to hook her leash to her collar. She saw a rabbit and took off after it, at first I thought she broke the clasp on the leash, but when I finally got her back I was amazed that she had actually broken the metal ring on her collar.

Here's a pic. of Bailey, she's a big suck most of the time and often thinks she's a lap dog, but at 86 pounds I don't

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-16-2009, 01:45 AM

Edmonton newbie is on a distinguished road
Default dogs

I have 2 very high energy pups that i need to walk and off leash EVERY day! Congrats on a gral looking lab, i hope you have a good throwing arm lol. Both my pups are blue heeler crosses i have developed a great thowing arm.nov 9 09 099.jpg
Old 11-16-2009, 03:55 AM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Hey Mark,
How is she working out?
Old 11-16-2009, 06:33 AM

JPotter is on a distinguished road

If you are seriously considering taking the dog be certain to start with a trial period...not working back it goes. Some behavioural issues can be adjusted in adult dogs ..others not so easy.
Get full vet records from the attending vet hospital before taking on an adult dog..chronic issues can prove to be costly.
If you are not going to have someone around you may well need doggy day care..it depends on the energy level of the dog and Beagles can be quite busy.
You will need a well fenced yard.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPotter View Post
If you are seriously considering taking the dog be certain to start with a trial period...not working back it goes. Some behavioural issues can be adjusted in adult dogs
ya, don't I know this, but the problem is the trial period from the SPCA is 1 week, most dogs won't present there true selves for a bit longer than that as they become more comfterable in the home.. I know ours took a month.

Steve

Old 11-16-2009, 02:41 PM

JPotter is on a distinguished road

Sorry..I thought the Beagle was coming from a co worker or friend.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:57 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPotter View Post
Sorry..I thought the Beagle was coming from a co worker or friend.

The Beagle was from a co-worker of the wife but didn't work out (they decided to keep her), so ended up getting a fantasic Lab from the Edm Humane Society.

As well behaved the dog is the owners must spend lots of time with her, it must of killed them to have to give her up. Very playful, doesn't bark, no issues in the house, great dog.

As for the trial period from the pound, at least in Edm, there's sort of is one. You pay a non-refundable adoption fee and if the animal needs to be returned you might (and they stressed might) get a exchange.