Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #2

View Poll Results: Which categories are you interested in for the nano contest #2?
stock 5.5 limited budget 6 13.04%
stock 5.5 unlimited budget 2 4.35%
stock 10 limited budget 16 34.78%
stock 10 unlimited budget 2 4.35%
custom limited budget 27 58.70%
custom unlimited budget 10 21.74%
other (please post) 7 15.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2009, 03:00 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Well Steve, from your lofty position up there you probably shouldn't be one of those people who set up a tank just to enter a contest either

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:03 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Yeah I'm thinking I'll just read through everyones opinions, pick out the good ones and go from there. Do we the rules posted prior to the starting day or should it be a shotgun start?

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:31 AM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
so do I, but I guess this is just another contest I won't be entering as once again it will be for people who want to set up disposable tanks.

Steve
Steve, I'm not sure why you say that the tanks will be disposable. I plan on doing a pico for my desk. I am going to be doing it anyhow so it might be fun to do it as part of the contest. It is definitely not disposable as I want it there for a long time.

I don't think superduperwesman's 10G Plate Coral Nano from the first competition is disposable either. That's alot of work for something he planned to take down after the contest.

Sorry, not trying to be confrontational but I just think it is a bit unfair to judge people's intentions here.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:05 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Things that need to be determined.

- Max Display Size
- Max Water Volume
- Equipment Budget (included: everything for the "build".. Tank, Stand, Skimmer, Lights, pumps, plumbing, etc)
- Standard tanks or Custom tanks (or both?)
- Monthly guidelines (if any)
- Limited or Unlimited Livestock Budget
- Categories for people to compete in. (Best ****, Best %%%%%, Best ###)

My input:
Quote:
- Max Display Size - 30G
- Max Water Volume - 40G
- Equipment Budget (included: everything for the "build".. Tank, Stand, Skimmer, Lights, pumps, plumbing, etc) - Yes
- Standard tanks or Custom tanks (or both?) - Both, but have separate categories for voting
- Monthly guidelines (if any) - FTS required anytime in the month, or when new livestock is added
- Limited or Unlimited Livestock Budget - Unlimited

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 04-21-2009, 06:40 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
so do I, but I guess this is just another contest I won't be entering as once again it will be for people who want to set up disposable tanks.

Steve
If I enter to contest my tank will be "disposable". I will return the corals to my main tank, and tear down the contest nano so I can take part in the next one too! I can't have 50 million nanos just for the sake of not "disposing" of them. I'm already on the fence whether I should take part in this contest because I have enough tanks as it is.

I've already said it in that other thread, but imo a nano is 20 gallons or less. The stock tank categories are interesting because they put a lot of emphasis on livestock selection and aquascaping. I liked that about the first nano contest...although some people took advantage of the [lack of defined] rules. I REALLY think livestock should not have a budget as I believe in the last contest that several of the participants had corals in their tanks that grossly out-valued what was recorded in their budget.

In order to make it as painless as possible on you Christy, I think you either need to set out many clearly defined rules with few possibilities for loopholes, or set very few rules, and let people give'r. You are a brave woman after seeing what Josh went through!!!

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 04-21-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:49 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
Well Steve, from your lofty position up there you probably shouldn't be one of those people who set up a tank just to enter a contest either
not lofty at all, I am setting up a new tank, which I concider a nano, but it will use a 28 gal main and a 28 gal sump. so contest or no contest mine is getting built. just thought it would be fun to do it as part of the contest. No worries though I can watch from the sidelines.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.

Last edited by StirCrazy; 04-21-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:56 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron99 View Post
Sorry, not trying to be confrontational but I just think it is a bit unfair to judge people's intentions here.
Don't worry about being confentational

yes there will be people who will keep them running, but I do believe the majority of them will be short lived.

the real problem comes in as there is no clear definition of what a nano is. I believe a nano is anything under 33 gal, but that could be because I have never had a tank set up under 92 gal in salt water and 20 gal in fresh water (Betta tank)

Some one who has only had 180's or larger might think a 55 is a Nano.
where as some one who has only had 33's and 20's would think a 5 or less is a nanno, so it all comes down to who can impose there will forcefully enough to decide what a nanno should be.

I just felt we already had a Nanno contest, why don't we have a large nanno/medium tank contest with a little more time for the build and a little more budget for equipment to allow for some nice tanks to be built.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:09 PM

Binare is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Steve
Over the last 10 years, I've never had a system over 25 gallons including the one running in my office now for 4 years... Never thought of any of my tanks as disposable.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:21 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I'm building a new tank to but it's around 100gallons so can you make that the limit for the contest? When will the madness end, you can't adjust the rules of the contest so one contender gets to use something he already has. If it works out great, if not get over it.

I've never seen a 33 gallon nano, it's a 3 foot tank and people put tangs in them, since when do you keep such fish in a nano? If you make the volume range too big the unlimited livestock becomes somewhat of a joke. I think the smaller volume of total 20gal or less is key to making this work.

Last edited by sphelps; 04-21-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:20 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

It all comes down to people's own definitions and it can be hard to reach consensus on things like what makes a nano. I spend alot of time on nano-reef.com and it seems that over there anything up to a 34 gallon red sea max is considered a nano. I think once you start getting into sumps etc. you are kind of getting out of what a nano is about; a small self contained bit of reef or ocean.

This is of course my opinion only and I am happy to entertain other people's thoughts and experiences on it. In the end somebody else will make the call on the rules for the contest. Hopefully they will have found this debate useful and will take into account the input we have all made to come up with something reasonable. And hopefully we can all be satisfied with the outcome. There will undoubtably be some who end up not getting what they want but c'est la vie, non?