Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

what a joke?
considering anything could happen, even if you were sleeping, that it should be calculated at a 24 hour rate by AND for you.
at the very least, it seems from posts I have read from you in the past that you like your job and get some personal value out of it...
Unless I read them wrong, I think that counts for something.

some days I make a lot of money per hour, but I hate it 80% of the time....
Old 03-11-2009, 03:13 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
This post is directed at the general population, not asmodeus in particular:

Sorry to point it out, but if you don't like your work's monetary compensation (talking to everyone here not just asmodeus), why don't you get a different job?

Honestly, I think there are too many people in this world that want everything for nothing. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to get what you want (whether that be monetary or otherwise). I gave up practically my entire life for the winter so I could work on the oil rigs and make some good cash so I can do a few things I've wanted to do for a long time (like travel). The winter has been long and tough with very few days off, little thanks, and I work crazy hours (one of many stretches was 13 hours sleep in 10 days), but it has paid off for me. If it didn't give me what I was after (in my case monetary gain) I wouldn't be doing it.

I don't believe the Canadian military should have a presence in Iraq right now, so I have a hard time supporting our government paying a large amount to the troops. I understand that asmodeus probably works physically quite hard, for this I have a lot of respect to anyone, and believe there should be decent monetary gain by doing so (just not in Iraq eep).

Oops, I think I opened a can of worms.

Asmodeus...by the looks of your tank and its inhabitants and equipment, (really nice!!) it doesn't look like you're doing really all that bad financially.
Well my friend well said to a point however the Canadian army isn’t in Iraq, we are in Afghanistan
My tank is like the way is it due to the time and effort that i put into it over the last 7 years from watching other people make mistakes and not doing what they have done. And a lot of time and patience
To the money thing. I have 20 yrs in the Forces and put my self to the limits all the time. I’m 39 soon to be 40 yrs old this April 24th and I’m in a lot better shape then a lot of young soldiers in out unit. Now that where I'm at now my pay is pretty good. However I was stating that the Army does not get a lot of extra money for going over Sea's. Yes we don’t get to pay taxes for 6 months while we are deployed there. However the troops that are in battle there should see a lot more extra's for putting their life on the line every time that they are out side the wire. Making that little extra doesn’t make that much of a huge difference. Soyour comment about the tank really has no bearing on my over sea pay. A lot of civilian people don’t have a clue what training that we go thru to end up before deploying over sea for 7 months at a time. I’m not here to point fingers at you so you know that. It takes around 134 months to be operational ready to deploy of to Afghanistan. there is a lot of time away from your families too. But what I was getting at was for 77 dollars extra per day,
You are away from your family,
Alone,
Shot at,
Shitty boil in the bag food,
Showers may be 10 in 7 months,
Get blown up,
Killed
Watching a buddy get shot,
You get shot.
Having a life altering decisions to make
Having post dramatic stress disorder. AKA PDSD
All for that extra money
or 77 dollars per day.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:39 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
Well my friend well said to a point however the Canadian army isn’t in Iraq, we are in Afghanistan
My tank is like the way is it due to the time and effort that i put into it over the last 7 years from watching other people make mistakes and not doing what they have done. And a lot of time and patience
To the money thing. I have 20 yrs in the Forces and put my self to the limits all the time. I’m 39 soon to be 40 yrs old this April 24th and I’m in a lot better shape then a lot of young soldiers in out unit. Now that where I'm at now my pay is pretty good. However I was stating that the Army does not get a lot of extra money for going over Sea's. Yes we don’t get to pay taxes for 6 months while we are deployed there. However the troops that are in battle there should see a lot more extra's for putting their life on the line every time that they are out side the wire. Making that little extra doesn’t make that much of a huge difference. Soyour comment about the tank really has no bearing on my over sea pay. A lot of civilian people don’t have a clue what training that we go thru to end up before deploying over sea for 7 months at a time. I’m not here to point fingers at you so you know that. It takes around 134 months to be operational ready to deploy of to Afghanistan. there is a lot of time away from your families too. But what I was getting at was for 77 dollars extra per day,
Alone,
Shot at,
Get blown up,
Killed
You get shot.
All for that extra money
or 77 dollars per day.
Sorry, I failed geography, but I did well in political sciences. I couldn't even name all the countries in the Middle East and Asia.

I am glad there are people willing to be a part of the Canadian Forces, and risking your life should definately be worth something, but I can't support the decisions our Canadian government has made to support the USA in their fight. That is the US's fight, and they are quite capable of dealing with it themselves. The only reason Canada is there is brown-nosing for the USA because we need the USA for protection from the rest of the world. Why do you think no countries have ever tried invading Canada?

What you do is NOT what I am against, what you do is priceless, BUT it is also a decision you have made. If it is not bringing in what you want from it, don't do it. You can't be complaining about work you have chosen to do on your own accord. If you weren't willing to take the risks, you wouldn't be there. I don't have much sympathy for people who complain about their field of work, no matter what it is. If you don't like it, change it!!

134 months is well over 10 years, I know people that are in Afganistan (and Iraq actually) right now that are in their 20s, so I don't know how you can say it takes 134 months to be operational ready to deploy??

As far as your tank goes...it is not 7 years old. You may have 7 years of research, but that didn't pay for it, and it didn't take you 7 years to pay for it. My point about that is simply that the Canadian Forces are paid well.

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:41 PM

Scavenger is on a distinguished road

I for one applaude Asmodeus and others that chose to serve. I also think he has every right to vent some frustration here.
To put in in prosective, imagine your boss (whoever you are and work for) telling you that you will be getting a 3 dollar and hour raise, but the catch is, you and your co workers must work around the clock and at any time may be killed. Your boss also informs you that you must wear heavy gear and he will be playing with the temperature so it will range anywhere from below 0 to 40 or 50 degrees. And he will be throwing anything he can think of at you to make your life miserable
Would you want that raise??

Last edited by Scavenger; 03-11-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:56 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well that was a kick in the crotch, after doing the taxes and figuring out the pay I made an extra 77 dollars per day overseas and a whopping $3.20 per hour based on a 24 hour period since we are always on call.

what a crock and that just proved I won't be going back to Afghanistan ever again. I will put my relase in if they do...
You just figured this out now ?
I assume you didn't join the military to make money.....did you?

Old 03-11-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scavenger View Post
I for one applaude Asmodeus and others that chose to serve. I also think he has every right to vent some frustration here.
To put in in prosective, imagine your boss (whoever you are and work for) telling you that you will be getting a 3 dollar and hour raise, but the catch is, you and your co workers must work around the clock and at any time may be killed. Your boss also informs you that you must wear heavy gear and he will be playing with the temperature so it will range anywhere from below 0 to 40 or 50 degrees. And he will be throwing anything he can think of at you to make your life miserable
Would you want that raise??
If you join the military you sort of ask for it...it would be like working for a boss without finding what they were going to pay you first....because it is the military it just not take away any responsibility from him....just makes it seem more honorable (stupid word) than the kid being ripped off at McDonald's....it is however not

Old 03-11-2009, 05:00 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

IMO firemen, police, military, etc. are grossly underpaid compared to many other government paid employees. These people put their lives on the line for the safety of others. I don't know what any of the above are paid but I'd guess less than say any municipal inspector, school principal, etc. And another thing: a welder for example in the military working for the army in Afghanistan I think would earn far less than if our government had to send civilian welders over to do the same job. Is this right? I applaud these people for the risk they take to make our country safer.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Alone,
Shot at,
Get blown up,
Killed
You get shot.
All for that extra money
or 77 dollars per day.
JOINED THE ARMY...duh

Old 03-11-2009, 05:08 PM

vazgor is on a distinguished road

Myka shame on you
how can you compair anything we do in Cananda for work to those in the military
you should just say thank you and keep your opinion to your self or at the verry least Donot voice them towards someone who has put his life on the line for your freedoms
i mean really how can you compare drilling a hole in the ground to being shoot at if it wasnt for our brave men and woman you wouldnt even have the chance to have a reef tank how many afgannis have a fish tank or for that matter a computer
now i'm shure this will be edited becouse any other time i have voiced my opinion someone seams to take ofence but i in good conchence cant let anyone rag on a man in the army all you should do is say thank you and is thee anything i can do to make your life easyer now that you have made it home alive
war is NOT a video game

So THANK YOU Asmodeus and welcome home
Old 03-11-2009, 05:08 PM

Scavenger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan View Post
JOINED THE ARMY...duh
Yes and it's those that joined, fought and died that ensure your right to voice your opinion, live free and have every right entitled to a Canadian citizen. Some how I don't think "Duh" quite lives up to that.
Closed Thread