Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-29-2008, 06:14 AM

Telford is on a distinguished road
Default New additions...HELP!

I added a copperbanded butterfly, sailfin tang and six line wrasse to my tank yesterday. When i woke up this morning and the lights came on, basically all the fish in the tank were breathing rapidly and very lethargic. Also, my pulsing xenia is limp and very dead looking.

I checked ammonia and it's at about 0.25 ppm and nitrates are at about 10 ppm. Are these levels significantly too high? Are all the fish just still ****ed off about the new additions?

Current stock is 2 small clowns, 1 yellow tang, 1 blue regal tang, foxface, yellow head goby, 2 scooter blennies, the new sailfin, copperband butterfly and six line wrasse. As well a very light stock of a few soft corals.

No, i didn't add any of the bag water to my system.

Any help/feedback appreciated!
Old 03-29-2008, 06:21 AM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

Thats a bunch of fish! Thats 3 tangs, a foxface, and a copperband along with the smaller fish.

Is your tank well established? Your ammonia and nitrate arent very good. First thing you need to do is a water change and then think about how all those tangs are gonna fit in your tank once they grow. edit to add.. your profile says you have a cylinder tank? Never had one but the small surface area may not be allowing enough oxygen into the water?
Old 03-29-2008, 06:36 AM

It honestly doesn't look overcrowded at all. I don't like the overcrowded look and from a lot of the tanks i've seen, mine looks pretty sparse. The tangs are all >2inches.

I am due for a water change as i've been a little lazy as of late, probably been 6 weeks since the last 20% change.

The surface is smaller on a cylinder but i have pretty good flow and surface agitation (Koralia 4 pointed up at the surface from about 18 inches down). Does this help?
Old 03-29-2008, 06:40 AM

Keri is on a distinguished road

The PH helps but I'd still put a couple more PH in that tank, get a few cross-currents going - you're probably getting a lot of dead space in your LR if you've just got the one.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keri View Post
The PH helps but I'd still put a couple more PH in that tank, get a few cross-currents going - you're probably getting a lot of dead space in your LR if you've just got the one.
You're probably right...i could probably use another one on the other side of the tank, but i don't think that's what's causing my 'issue'
Old 03-29-2008, 07:08 AM

Keri is on a distinguished road

The limp xenia makes me think it's a water-quality (or O2) issue rather than soley a fish thing. I'd start with the 20% WC, add some more movement and re-asses in the AM. Are the fish showing any other signs of illness? (white spots/red patches etc)

Also check your temp! Sometimes the heaters fry. Have you put your hand in your tank at all? (I'm not suggesting you do if there is any live current lol, but if you have allready...)

please don't electrocute yourself lol
Old 03-29-2008, 07:13 AM

Nope, temp is good and heater's fine. I'm assuming/hoping it's just stress of new tank mates and poor water quality. I'll do a good 20%er tomorrow and see how everything responds...

Any other suggestions and comments still appreciated...
Old 03-29-2008, 07:26 AM

Reefhawk1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Reefhawk1

You should consider quarantine before adding several fish to an aquarium at once. The added stress and possible parasite introduction could cause serious problems for your tank.

Your water quality could use some help as well as well as more water movement with surface agitation as the others have said could help.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:09 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I agree with the waterchange suggestion. If something's lookng awry in my tank the first thing I do is test the parameters, then do a water change.

The Sailfin Tang was a very poor purchase choice for that size tank. As much as I absolutely LOVE Sailfin Tangs, they grow HUGE quite quickly, and need very large tanks.

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

NH3 should be 0. A good sized water change is in order right away.