Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 12-06-2013, 11:00 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road
Question What's up with my Yellow tang?

My Yellow tang has decided he/she will dig out the rear corner of the reef tank. Can anyone tell me what's going on.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:13 AM
busy with fresh water.

This is really weird behavior and this fish has never done this kind of thing before, the sand is dig out right down to the glass now! Guess I'll see what it looks like in the morning. I thought for sure somebody on Canreef would have a comment.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:15 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Hey Laurie my naso tang did the same thing when he outgrew my tank. I have him to someone with a 350G and he never did it again. I'm sure your YT hasn't outgrown yours.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:49 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

My Maroon Clownfish female digs into the sand bed below the pair's spawning territory, but I've never seen my Yellow Tang exhibit this behaviour, so no clue as to why yours is doing this. Since my clownfish are a mated pair & spawning, I always assumed the sand digging was related to a territorial and/or nesting instinct. Are there more Tangs in your tank?

Last edited by mike31154; 12-07-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:24 PM
busy with fresh water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
My Maroon Clownfish female digs into the sand bed below the pair's spawning territory, but I've never seen my Yellow Tang exhibit this behaviour, so no clue as to why yours is doing this. Since my clownfish are a mated pair & spawning, I always assumed the sand digging was related to a territorial and/or nesting instinct. Are there more Tangs in your tank?
No more yellow tangs, but there is a kole & naso tang both smaller, he's not acting mean, just in the corner acting weird, I pushed to sand back in the corner and I'll see what happens. thanks for your input.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:27 PM
busy with fresh water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Hey Laurie my naso tang did the same thing when he outgrew my tank. I have him to someone with a 350G and he never did it again. I'm sure your YT hasn't outgrown yours.
Ya this guy is about 3" and has tons of room to grow yet I would think.