Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-12-2009, 09:28 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Got'ya. that is the main reason I do not run ozone.

Some Parrot deaths and health problems have been connected to ozone generators in the house hold. Having 5 birds in the house means no ozone for me

J
Old 11-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Wow, neat skimmer cup mod

I was just wondering though, can you really smell the ozone? How much do you dose? I'm just asking as I ran ozone for awhile in small doses (like 25mg/hr) and never smelled it (even when I cranked it which made me wonder if it was even working or if the "tank clarity" was all in my head.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:12 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
Wow, neat skimmer cup mod

I was just wondering though, can you really smell the ozone? How much do you dose? I'm just asking as I ran ozone for awhile in small doses (like 25mg/hr) and never smelled it (even when I cranked it which made me wonder if it was even working or if the "tank clarity" was all in my head.
Oh yes, you can certainly smell it. It's not a strong, unpleasant smell....sort of vaguely electrical-like. The ozone generator I have is 250mg/hr. The ozone is controlled by Redox measurement on the AQT controller, but it mostly runs all the time. Redox swings daily in the exact opposite way to pH and temperature...going down in the daylight, and up at night.

As Redox rises at night, the controller shuts off the ozone, so there are periods at night where it is not on. I'm not certain, however, that the 250mg/hr that I'm adding actually has a measurable impact on redox in my tank. I may not be adding enough to be concerned about.

Yes, I don't know if it is really doing any good or not. It seems to be doing no harm so I'm going to continue. Ironically, smelling the ozone is about the only way I can know for sure that the ozonizer is still working!
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 11-26-2009, 01:31 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Awesome Vlamingi. I got one a couple of months ago & I'm hoping that mine will also turn out to a be beautiful male with streamers & awesome colouration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
These things just kind of sneak up on you and suddenly you notice..."Hey, Freckles has tail streamers".

Because "he" is so huge, it is easy to forget that Freckles is still a baby. He has not yet been in the tank for 2 years. (2 years in Jan, 2010) It seems that shortly before 2 years old, he suddenly developed tail streamers confirming that he is, in fact, a he.

The timing is about right, IME. I added Moe (the blonde Naso) almost 2.5 years ago and when I purchased him he was at least 1 year old judging from his size. He first began to show streamers about 1 year after purchase. Now, at about 3.5 years old, his streamers are just getting more stunning all the time.

So....is my youngest next? Lance (the unicorn), has only been in the tank for 18 mohths and was a small juvenile when purchased. I don't even know if Unicorn Tangs develop tail streamers but his tail looks like "he" might. I could get get lucky for a 3rd time!
Old 11-29-2009, 01:32 AM

Millepora_Maniac is on a distinguished road

wow

90 gal SPS display+65 gallon mixed reef
GEAR: Korallin calcium reactor, bio pellets, digital aquatics controller, Tunze ATO, MP40, 4 x Tunze 6105 w/controller, Reef Octopus Xp3000 ext, 2x250w MH, Futura LED.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:54 PM

Canuckgod420 is on a distinguished road

Hey brad

Thanks for allowing Ken and I to come over and gauck at your incredible setup. I'm already in negotiations with the wife to come to some sort of deal with getting a new much larger setup.

My invitation is always open for you to come look at my setup anytime.
180G tank, custom DIY stand, Sunlight Supply-Sun Blaze 48" 8 bulb T5HO fixture, EuroReef CS6-1 and Vertex in 180 skimmers, 1/4 HP chiller, Tunze wavebox, 40G sump, and 40G refugium. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57451
Old 12-17-2009, 12:24 AM

Default Merry Xmas to me!

Xmas came a bit early to my house. I bought a new TV and so I had to renovate much of the basement. I think the room is much improved as I can now sit and enjoy the TV and the aquarium at the same time. Next up..new seating!

....and a nice picture of Ripple, who is feeling blue because he can't see the TV as well as before.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

Old 12-17-2009, 12:38 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

That's my dream chill room right there! Nice xmas gift... 50"?

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 12-17-2009, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
... 50"?
Ha...ha.. I guess the wall is making the TV look smaller than it is....

I guess I should have put a nice aquarium photo up there on the screen.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:23 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

... 65" ... Final Guess! It is pretty deceiving at first glance.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988