Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-14-2011, 11:20 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

You must be doing something wrong or it is not functioning properly. I made one myself and it works great. How many mA is used for the power supply? I used a 500mA charger.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:27 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

hmmm, not sure, I'll look when I get home. It bubbles like mad when it's running

It works great if you can actually touch the aiptasia with it, singes tentacles right off. But touching a tentacle isn't enough to kill it, and either my aiptasia are better at burying their feet deep within the rocks than most people's, or I'm not skilled enough to zap them before they retreat so deep in to the rock that the probe can't reach them.

I'm going to try modding it by removing most/all of the shaft this week at some point. If I can reduce it to just the electrical assembly it might be maneuverable enough to be more effective.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:50 PM

Ya Dude is on a distinguished road

If you can,take the rock out and boil the frickers right out of they're crevice with a miny-torch.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:56 PM

yah, I did that not too long ago. I did it to every single rock in my tank. I missed enough that I'm right back where I started.

I really think the only solution will be to sterilize everything. Not sure what that's going to mean for my LPS that have little baby aiptasia growing on their skeletons.

Good thing this was my 'learning' aquarium. Next time I get live rock I'm not going to look at the 'cool' little anemone's popping up on one rock and think I've hit the jackpot. This wouldn't have been a problem had I nipped it in the bud way back when.

an ounce of of prevention...
Old 03-15-2011, 12:08 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I purchased one of these from Oceanic Corals. I found it worked great on majanos but the aiptasia were too quick and grew at awkward angles. I did manage to zap a couple of them but they came back all deformed and scraggly looking where they got zapped. It worked great on majanos, I think I got about a 50-60% success rate but I don't think I was zapping them long enough (not sure how long you are supposed to press the button, I only did about a second or so).

Eventually my matted filefish ate all the majanos, now I just have to clean out the aiptasia. There are 5 left I think.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:15 AM

nlreefguy is on a distinguished road

how about for killing overgrown paly's? Do you think it would work for that? They don't retreat and are in pretty obvious places. I couldn't get them all off by scraping the rock with a steel brush - do you think the zapper has what it takes?
Old 03-15-2011, 02:17 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I zapped a few zoanthids and they died pretty good and didn't come back so maybe the palys would take a hike as well.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlreefguy View Post
how about for killing overgrown paly's? Do you think it would work for that? They don't retreat and are in pretty obvious places. I couldn't get them all off by scraping the rock with a steel brush - do you think the zapper has what it takes?
Yah, I bet it would work no problem. If they're accessible, you can just roast them to your heart's content.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:05 PM

nlreefguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdown View Post
Yah, I bet it would work no problem. If they're accessible, you can just roast them to your heart's content.
So if you ever want to sell yours, I'm interested!