Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-14-2015, 04:59 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

I agree the mag is not the issue just not ideal either, low mag I find effects torches hammers (don't inflate well)I would guess Jason's issue is phosphates but who knows seems like you are always having issues.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:47 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanerickson View Post
I would guess Jason's issue is phosphates
I would have previously agreed, but my current tank hit 0.47ppm PO4 and the corals never looked better

I would guess some type of contaminant or a nasty bacteria maybe? I think water chem for standard items is ok.

Problem with this case is everything looks ok, so really hard to tell by a snapshot described in an online thread.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:01 PM

jason604 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
In all your pics, I see a bunch of what was dry rock (or appears that way since it's shock white with diatoms growing on it). When did you switch the tank over? Did you use new sand or old sand? How long was the new tank running before you moved the corals over? Did you use any bacteria products to help the new tank? If so, which ones? I'm thinking it's "new tank with dry rock syndrome" (yes I made that up).
I swapped my tank about a month and a half ago. I used 99% new sand. Rock was acid and bleached then cycled in a bin for 2-3 months before I used it. I then put in new tank with about 90% new salt water and 10% from old tank with a half cup of clean sand from old tank each week during water changes to help it cycle for 1.5 months before I swap everything over. I did not use any bacteria products since i watched it cycle to no nitrite nitrate and ammonia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanerickson View Post
I agree the mag is not the issue just not ideal either, low mag I find effects torches hammers (don't inflate well)I would guess Jason's issue is phosphates but who knows seems like you are always having issues.
I bought schlobster chloride and sulfate from JL but have not used it yet since I still have some seachem but I guess I should just toss seachem Cuz I can't ever seem to increase mag safely with it pass 1150. I think I should carefully test hanna kit multiple times to make sure it's correct. Al my LPS are super duper happy and colorful it's just some sps r affected. My digis, birdnest, monti plates are doing fine but I guess they are less demanding. Yes I am constantly having problems with my tank n tossing $$ out the window n this has got to stop. That's why I was asking if somee1 can come over and look at my setup n my reef keeping regime to point me into the right direction. U will be compensated as well as filled with beer =). At this point I'm pretty bummed with my constant failures in this hobby. If Im unable to correct things and my sps end up all dying I might just do a full LPS and softy tank even tho I love sps much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
It's simple.....you need more super glue
Oh if only I can count how many super glue tubes Ive been through lol. Each time I go dollar store the cashier is always shocked n ask like what am I doing with that many lol.

So is it confirmed that there wasn't any AeFW in my after dip container?
Old 04-14-2015, 06:11 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason604 View Post

So is it confirmed that there wasn't any AeFW in my after dip container?

didn't appear to be any in the pic..
Old 04-14-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
didn't appear to be any in the pic..
Thx Brad. I guess that's some sort of relief. U rly scared me last night with the Im screwed if it's that bad talk lol
Old 04-14-2015, 06:41 PM
Just a guy..

Well, you don't have a lot of acro, so you would have been best to toss them, wait however long it takes for AEFW to die, then start over. You can treat if you have a lot of expensive pieces, but yours don't look healthy enough to get through what would be needed. Screwed is all relative, so wouldn't have been terribly painful

Still not sure what's going on, IMO acropora are no more sensitive than other SPS you have. So it does appear to be something specific to them.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:43 PM

Yes it's so weird. Everything of mine that ends with pora seems to been targeted.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:45 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason604 View Post
Yes it's so weird. Everything of mine that ends with pora seems to been targeted.
montis and birdsnest end in pora If you can keep birdsnest and caps, you shouldn't have trouble with acros.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:57 PM

God damn I'm a retard. Ryan UR right I did manage to mess up my hanna test. Just re read the back side of the instruction n it said to get accurate reading I should test vile right away after mixing reagent!! I normally mix reagent and then get side track by other maintenance for my tank n normally test it 30-1hr later. Thought it's normal Cuz it's fine doing that with salifert to a certain point. After testing hanna phosphate carefully it was at 0.15!!! No wonder my acros were rtning. I increased my vodka and vinegar dosing a bit and making rO water now. I should be able to do a 20g change tomorrow. I'm not gonna increase my rowaphos Cuz from experience doing too many things too fast causes much more harm than good.

I'm glad I dragged my sunset milli colony rigt away last night as today the base is all dead and 2 frags died. Happy to still have some left alive.
Back 2 frags is pretty much dead

Is it ok to leave large rtn sps in my tank as it is now pretty much just live rock isn't it? Or should I take it out and bleach first before I can re-add? I think my phosphate skyrocketed because 2 of my Hawaiian feather dusters died and 1 was dead beneath the sand bed and rotted. And also adding 5 new smaller fishes did not help. My 15g water change on sat didn't do much I guess to lower it I guess.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:58 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Everyone has pretty much covered all the bases, and I never seen any flatworms in any pic.
After you explained everything with your recent setup it appears to me that your tank is just too new for corals. Don't take offence but you really need patience in this hobby and by the posts you have put up you might be lacking that
Not putting your phosphate and carbon reactors on line wouldn't have caused this either.
On another post you mentioned vinegar dosing? Still doing that? You by chance didn't over dose did you? There's also guys that don't use GFO or Rowa when dosing.
Good luck and hope you get this stuff figured out. And maybe put off getting any SPS for a while.