Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-13-2014, 06:37 AM

input80 is on a distinguished road
Default Cyano & Lighting

Ok, here's a thought I had recently, don't have a clue on how to set up a poll. For those that have had cyano issues, do you run moonlighting & for how long? I am using 4 (changed to 3 last week) AI Sols & am thinking that having the moonlight feature could possibly be a contributor to the amount of repetitive cyano on our 120? They are running with the director & basic programming Noon-midnight, ramping up from 830am. On the 80 I have a 6 bulb T5 fixture 11am-11pm basically, with just an led strip (all night) for moonlight. I have a lot less cyano comebacks in the 80. I have cut down feeding quite a bit lately on both tanks. I am thinking lighting might have something to do with it because I read somewhere that a 3 day lights out (not complete blackout) helped get rid of it.
Yes I have treated with chemiclean & found it worked well, for about 3 wks to a mth.
Just looking for thoughts here.
Does anyone have a reliable "director" setting that they use?
Old 08-13-2014, 11:52 AM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

Ian, I don't think your lighting is your reason for cyano, I could be wrong but your moonlighting is such a small amount of light I have a hard time believing that little amount of light would be causing you issues. However if you are running your lights for 12 hours I would suggest dropping that down to 8-10. Have you tested your phosphates and nitrates? And how often do you change your water? If you can't seem to beat it, I suggest the 3 day black out. I did one not to long ago to beat dinos, and it worked like a hot damn. I will definitely be going that route again if I ever have algae issues. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:28 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

I run my T5s for only 10 hours, and not all 8 together
Total bulb time is only 17 hours
Moonlights 6 hours

Only cyano I get now is in my fuge with a CFL 6500K on for 3 hours overnight
Old 08-13-2014, 05:54 PM

input80 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, I'm thinking I definitely need to adjust my lighting, I realized while typing that my light period may be a bit long overall.