Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: Do you use RODI water and is it better?
Yes and I always have so I dont have a comparison 48 47.52%
Yes and I noticed a difference by switching 32 31.68%
Yes but Ive never really noticed a difference from when I didnt 2 1.98%
No I never have and Im hoping this poll will help me decide 15 14.85%
I used to and now I stopped, didnt really notice any ill effects 4 3.96%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-15-2015, 02:56 PM

Travillion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimper View Post
I used to raised/bred Discus, the most sensitive fresh water fish that you could ever keep. Most discus keepers use RO/DI as discus is very sensitive to Chlorine and Chloramine, however based on my experience water here at the Lower Mainland is almost pure and Chlorine is the only thing that you need to watch out during Winter/Spring months.

A pinch of Prime during Winter/Spring time is all I use.
This is true, our tap water is brilliant. Especially Richmond's (less time traveling through pipes). Tested at only 12TDS, and didn't even register for chlorines.

However, I switched to RO/DI water a couple of months ago. I switched without knowing what our tap water was really like, I just assumed my tanks could benefit from higher quality water. I would actually still stick with my decision though. I ran a waste bucket for the first few weeks as a comparison, and let me tell you, that water STUNK, while the reservoir water had no scent and registered 0TDS. Even though we have very clean water, there are still clearly some nitrates floating around in there that could have an impact. I would also like to include that since making the switch, an algae problem has drastically decreased.

All that having been said, I have been keeping freshwater for nearly 10 years without RO/DI (obviously not as substantial of an ordeal), and never even questioned my water quality.