Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-06-2012, 05:45 PM

Gizmoh is on a distinguished road
Default LED on a 30" width

I am totally torn on the lights to use on top of the tank I am planning to build so I am looking for some input! In reading Ai says there Sol is for 30" width "with proper placement of corals", don't like the sounds of this as it sounds like it will be shadowed outside the 2' x 2' "sweet spot". The tank I am planning is going to be 48x30x20. The lights I was going to use are the ATI 10x54w T5, dimmable and GHL ready. I am going with the ProFilux controller as I am a sucker for touch screens but am aware that it is AI ready as well and for the price of the ATI unit I could get 4 Sols or 2 Radions ( this would actually save me money ). My other issue is that I only have a max of about a foot clearance above the tank. Looking for any and all input! Willing to start a debate

Thanks in advance

Justin
Old 06-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Since your depth is a bit reduced, you "might" get away with 4 Sols...I would lean towards yes, but if you're wrong, you're buying more lights.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:30 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Would a configuration like this using 4 sols not work?

Probably be a good starting point at least, and a fifth could be added in the center installed perpendicular to the others if more is needed.

4 sols would be more light than 2 radions for sure. If it's purely spread you're worried about optics can be changed from 40 to 70 and the units can be lifted higher but at the cost of lost intensity.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Would a configuration like this using 4 sols not work?

Probably be a good starting point at least, and a fifth could be added in the center installed perpendicular to the others if more is needed.

4 sols would be more light than 2 radions for sure. If it's purely spread you're worried about optics can be changed from 40 to 70 and the units can be lifted higher but at the cost of lost intensity.
That's my thought as well. I think this would work fine, especially if he went with the 70 optics.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:36 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

For around the same money you could also consider 2 48" Sunbrite F-series LED Fixtures although they are not controllable by profilux, they will cover the tank properly. Plus external controller integration was mentioned to be a future upgrade but probably no guaranty.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I think the SOL's would give you great coverage and are probably the best overall price.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:52 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

ATI are proven lights but consider replacement bulbs cost depending on what you want to keep could be as much as every 6-9 month @ 10x30=300 bucks. Thats a lot of cash. AI and Radions will have the same coverage, don't think that 2 Radions will replace 4 AI's, that's just pipe dream, not gonna happen. Since you are just setting up, I think you should wait till more advanced LED technology surfaces before making your final decision. I am really liking the orphek multi-chip led with multiple colors of led and the new vega by AI. BTW did I mention that you wouldn't need to change any bulbs for a while.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 06-06-2012, 06:54 PM

Gizmoh is on a distinguished road

Thank you all very much for the responses. I like what I am seeing. If I was to get 4 Sols and 2x24" mounting rails i could then hang the rails along the width instead of the length and achieve the design that was posted earlier and still be able to adjust them to ensure proper coverage. What sort of clearance do these units need above the heat sink for airflow as I mentioned I only have about a foot and I think 8" is ideal above water level. So with the unit being almost three inches that gives me only an inch of clearance if this is enough I'm off to the races if not, I can fiddle around a little more to get a couple more inches I think.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:56 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

I think four sols would be more than enough on a 20" deep tank.....unless you are planning on putting sps on the bottom of the tank against the front and back glass, than the lower light areas will be beneficial to the "less light thirsty" corals....Im in the same boat as you....my new tanks footprint is 30" x 84".... I flip flopped back and forth between the sols and the radions.....in the end the bling factor of the radions won out and Im gonna try four and pray that that is enough....I also rationalized that my tank is only 24"d so I didnt need the penetration of the sols and would be better off with the better spread of the radions....I will be doing my aqauscaping mostly down the center of the tank to allow for more swimming space and better flow......I agree that if you go with the sols, get them to order the ones with the 70 degree optics....I would start with three and go from there....
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 06-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
I think four sols would be more than enough on a 20" deep tank....
for depth, yes, but not full coverage. I think to get it even, you'll need 2 front and back each 2 feet of length. With single sols over my "growth area", I still don't have enough back to front to cover the 18 or so inches. Trying to save can be disappointing when you plug the lights in and see that it's not enough. But he can try 3, if not enough, just order the fourth...