Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-28-2002, 07:36 PM

DJ88 is on a distinguished road
Default Dolphin Ampmasters

Hey Jim,

I haven't taken the plate off to measure the current draw. Brand new and all. Plus it is hooked up on my system now and isn't very accessable. Well it could be. Just a bit nervous about taking it apart.

What I am curious about is how there will be such a difference measuring from the wall inline with my meter to what the manufacturer gets off of the pole. My pump has been going for 24 hours now and hasn't tripped due to overload yet I still get 2.2 Amps.

Tho I do have an idea where some of it may be coming from. Dolphin has equipped the pump with a 14Ga wire if I remember right. My break out box is wired with 18Ga. Will that .61mm diameter make THAT much of a difference? I have some 12Ga laying around. I am going to make up a break out with that and see what happens. I don't see it taking away 1 amp but will try. The longest length of 18 GA I had in the break out was 5 cm. :confused:

I want to understand where the diff's are coming from. grrr..
Old 05-28-2002, 08:23 PM

JimE is on a distinguished road

Hey Darren.

Dont know what the manufacturer told you about measuring across a pole - IME it has always been on a power lead at the motor.

As far as the 2.2amps goes, if this is a good number the motor should have tripped a long time ago. Makes me pretty confidant its somehow not a good number (no offence to yourself or your equipment). I doubt that the "loss" is due to the cord or wiring - pretty low draw. It really sounds like its operating properly. Did you try the Fluke inline? Or maybe try it at the cord end if you dont want to mess with the motor? Never had much luck with any ancillary accessories for low amp measurement on those meters. Most times only used a RMS meter for VFD's as they tended to screw me up more often than not for everyday use.
Maybe find someone with a regular clamp-on? (meter that is [img]smile.gif[/img]

Or don't sweat it. Pumps sounds like its running fine - have a beer.

Jim
Old 05-28-2002, 08:46 PM

DJ88 is on a distinguished road

Hi Jim,

I did measure it inline. Grrr.. this is wierd. I don't want to be saying things that aren't true.

oh well....

I'll try off of the lead. ;) if I have a chance..

thanks for helpin.

ps. been having lots of beer. School's finished for the summer. :D

[ 28 May 2002, 16:48: Message edited by: DJ88 ]
Old 05-28-2002, 09:08 PM

Being the lazy sort that I am, I'd get a second opinion from another meter before doing anything else that requires effort. I know Fluke is god and all but..... And not to be a smartass or anything, but how's the batteries? Just have a gut that its not really drawing 2.2amps - even thru the cord. Good luck on the quest! BTW, seen the Warsteiner minikeg? mmmmmm very tempting.....

jim
Old 05-29-2002, 11:24 PM

canadawest is on a distinguished road

Darren,

Before this thread went off on a wild educative tangent, you were going to measure the power draw on your MAG 7 and 9.5 pumps.

Did you ever get around to doing that? Just curious as I am using one of each myself right now.
Old 05-30-2002, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ88:
If I could take it apart and bench test it I would. But I paid $500 for this puppy and if I take it apart I void my 9 year warranty.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">By the sounds of this thread, they dont really care who screws around with it. Hopefully you dont have to do any R&D for the manufacturer......
: )

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin...threadid=86895

Jim