Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 09-09-2013, 07:48 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road
Default Injuries cause buy your tank

Lets here about some injuries cause buy you tank or inhabitants.

Other than the beating I got when my wife opened the CC statement I haven't had any

But my brother and I were moving a large tank when it slipped and landed on his hand breaking a couple fingers
Old 09-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

- slipped on the ice carrying my 135g sump. landed on my legs and hand. had trouble walking for a bit nevermind running.

- poorly attached hose came free on a pump and splashed water all over a power bar in my fishroom. i got jolted really well fumbling around in the dark to try and turn the dj strip off that fed it.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:58 PM

DAVE is on a distinguished road

I have had numerous interactions with the 'furry' bristle worms that like to live under chalice colonies.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:59 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Hmmm, looking at the scars on my hands I can recall at least two stories.

Once I held a razor blade the wrong way and pushed down to scrape coraline off some glass but instead just gave myself an owwie. Had to get stitches apparently. Apparently 4 stitches if the scar is to be believed.

Another time I was trying to take apart an overflow standpipe and when it finally popped loose the upward momentum carried the back of hand straight into a vermetid snail casing in the overflow and gashed the back of my hand a bit. Stupid vermetid snails.

Once when working in the tank with the halides still on I bumped the back of my head into the lamp and could hear sizzling. Also, on an unrelated note, apparently I am bald.

Which reminds me of a time I leaned over to pick up some reef gear on the floor, and stood up and bumped my head into the corner of the HRV that was hanging beside the tank (before I had walls in the basement). Left a goodly sized chuck of hairless scalp in the metal and had a triangular scab on the back of my head for a few weeks. No idea if the scar is still there. I never look at the back of my head. That lets me believe I am not as bald as people try to tell me.

None of my injuries however can really touch the grievous injuries my house has sustained as a result of having reef gear in the house (or carrying and subsequently dropping reef related gear in the house). I recall one time I dropped a dehumidifier (damn those things are awkward) and it richochet'ed down the stairway punching little holes in the drywall on alternating sides of the stairwell. I am certain that were it not an inanimate object it might have been giggling along the way down too. "Yippeee! I am free! Whee!".
Old 09-09-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
- slipped on the ice carrying my 135g sump. landed on my legs and hand. had trouble walking for a bit nevermind running.

- poorly attached hose came free on a pump and splashed water all over a power bar in my fishroom. i got jolted really well fumbling around in the dark to try and turn the dj strip off that fed it.
Did the sump break?

I could only imagine the sparks lighting up the fish room as you were trying to kill the power
Old 09-09-2013, 08:01 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Every time I have a coral crash it bruises my ego. It's happened a couple of times now.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:04 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
i got jolted really well fumbling around in the dark to try and turn the dj strip off that fed it.
Ooh, jolts. Yeah that reminds me. Been zapped a couple times too. I think the best time was when I tried to find out if turning out my lights caused the owwie-zappiness of the tank to go away, and then I found out it was actually my sump return pump. To the external observer only 1 second of time elapsed. Internally in my head a very large lengthy written assay started to form of which the thematic elements were the question "how can I pull my hand out of this water box of zappy pain? It would be nice if my hand wasn't in this water right now. Bloody hell, this is unpleasant." (ad nauseum)
Old 09-09-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Every time I have a coral crash it bruises my ego. It's happened a couple of times now.
Meh, I lost my ego eons ago. I don't think I even miss it anymore.

But everytime I have a coral crash, it bruises my bank account. Surely that counts for something.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post

Once when working in the tank with the halides still on I bumped the back of my head into the lamp and could hear sizzling. Also, on an unrelated note, apparently I am bald.
Lol. K I've done this too. Also bald (buy choice)

Never forget the first time I stuck my hand in my tank after having the middle finger nail ripped off.
Didn't hurt until it was wet and salty

Great stories
Old 09-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

as i went down i had a moment where i knew sliding my hand to the corner was going to get it really badly bashed into the asphalt. i figured i'd try and save the tank and did!