Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-18-2014, 10:48 PM
Vendor

Bill@IA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
I use an app that came with my iPhone. It's call "Notes". Works great!
Thats what I use as well.

Check us out on Facebook. You don't need Facebook to enjoy our Facebook Page. Just click on the link: https://www.facebook.com/IncredibleAquarium

Old 12-18-2014, 11:25 PM

mikellini is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
I mainly keep track of water changes & RODI system throughput. I don't like changing filters on a calendar basis, since that has nothing to do with how clogged they get. It's all about how much water you've sent through it and what the TDS out of the RO membrane is. Also, it's good to know when you're getting close to the 20,000 gallon mark through your carbon filter, if it's rated for that, rather than changing at an arbitrary 6 month interval. I've found the less I mess with the RODI, the better it works. Change the sediment filters regularly, but I'm still on the original 75 gpd membrane and only the second carbon block in over 5 years.

Although my spreadsheet has a page for all the chemical parameters, I don't typically check those very often, unless the tank "doesn't look right". But since I've gone to the trouble of maintaining a spreadsheet, it might as well be able to track that stuff. I don't print any of the info to put in a binder. Don't see the need when I can see it all on the 'puter.
You should really change your carbon block more often, most of them are rated for 20k gallons at 50% efficiency or so, which means that by that time, they are letting 50% of what they should be stopping through. Plus that rating is for continuous operation, so if it sits for some time it will reduce the number somewhat. Plus there's clogging of the micron filter before the block (will happen to some degree even with a sediment filter of equal micron size before it), bacterial growth etc. And it's a 9 dollar part.

BRS has a great series of videos on carbon blocks and rodi systems, a true wealth of information. Myself, I change my sediment filter when water pressure drops from 60 psi to 50 psi, and the carbon filter every second time I change the sediment filter. Probably works out to every 1000 gallons for the sediment, and 2000 for the carbon
Old 12-18-2014, 11:54 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
You should really change your carbon block more often, most of them are rated for 20k gallons at 50% efficiency or so, which means that by that time, they are letting 50% of what they should be stopping through. Plus that rating is for continuous operation, so if it sits for some time it will reduce the number somewhat. Plus there's clogging of the micron filter before the block (will happen to some degree even with a sediment filter of equal micron size before it), bacterial growth etc. And it's a 9 dollar part.

BRS has a great series of videos on carbon blocks and rodi systems, a true wealth of information. Myself, I change my sediment filter when water pressure drops from 60 psi to 50 psi, and the carbon filter every second time I change the sediment filter. Probably works out to every 1000 gallons for the sediment, and 2000 for the carbon
I thought the main purpose of the carbon block was to protect the RO membrane from chlorine. I have a swimming pool test kit for chlorine that I used before changing the carbon last time & it still showed negative. I didn't wait until exactly 20,000 gallons on the last one, but close. I still use RO water from the system at 1 TDS for drinking etc. with no health issues that I'm aware of. I realize the filter is not that costly, but still like to get the most out of the thing before relinquishing it to the landfill. Besides, the water coming through my tap is supposedly fit for human consumption. A bunch of videos from a vendor are unlikely to make me change my errant ways! Folks are free to change them as often as they see fit, I'm merely documenting my experience. YMMV. And that's where my trusty spreadsheet comes in handy. I don't have a smart phone or iphone, so it's what I do.

Last edited by mike31154; 12-19-2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:17 AM

rishu_pepper is on a distinguished road

Aquarimate is a great app. Love using it to track params, livestock, expenses (ok not that last part lol).

Brian
Old 12-19-2014, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
I thought the main purpose of the carbon block was to protect the RO membrane from chlorine. I have a swimming pool test kit for chlorine that I used before changing the carbon last time & it still showed negative. I didn't wait until exactly 20,000 gallons on the last one, but close. I still use RO water from the system at 1 TDS for drinking etc. with no health issues that I'm aware of. I realize the filter is not that costly, but still like to get the most out of the thing before relinquishing it to the landfill. Besides, the water coming through my tap is supposedly fit for human consumption. A bunch of videos from a vendor are unlikely to make me change my errant ways! Folks are free to change them as often as they see fit, I'm merely documenting my experience. YMMV. And that's where my trusty spreadsheet comes in handy. I don't have a smart phone or iphone, so it's what I do.
What water were you testing with the script? That is a good way to test if your carbon blocks, as long as you're testing the waste water and not water that has gone through the membrane. You should still check out those videos, great info
Old 12-19-2014, 01:35 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
What water were you testing with the script? That is a good way to test if your carbon blocks, as long as you're testing the waste water and not water that has gone through the membrane. You should still check out those videos, great info
I disconnected the line at the output of the carbon block (before the RO membrane) & tested there for chlorine. I'll check out the vids too, but this discussion needs another thread perhaps, we're getting off topic of app vs pen & paper!

In the photo below the left strip is a sample after the carbon stage, the right strip is tap water.

Last edited by mike31154; 12-19-2014 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:13 AM

Looks good to me. We actually have decent water here, we pay enough for it... Anyway, back on topic, sorry haha
Old 12-19-2014, 02:16 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I have a good old paper notebook for each tank. I have used some apps and programs, but prefer good old paper. I have notebooks from years ago. I worry that digital data might get erased, damaged, or obsolete to the point that I can't access it anymore. I highlight things like carbon changes in different colors so it's easy to locate the last change. I also make visual notes if things are looking particularly good or poor, and I've learned a lot from looking at history leading up to good times and poor times. I refer to the old notebooks more often than I ever thought I would when I made them.

SPS fanatic.