Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 03-08-2012, 11:40 PM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 240watt Eco Blue DC pumps

http://absolute-koi.com/pdf/Blue%20E...p%20Manual.pdf

I am in the middle of buying some of these pumps for my new build. I have done a ton of research on these, as well as talked to numerous people who own and operate these pumps as well. I have scoured the European market trying to find a good price on these pumps. Cheapest I found was about 685 Euro and 95 Euro shipping, putting the pump right around the $1000 dollar mark landed at my door.
Many have compared it to the Abyzz-($1999 for a pump landed at my door)which it looks like aside from colour, but has a better control. Now the eco now has a 1-10v interface so it can be controlled by a controller now, and they are beta testing a controller that may be purchased separately.
Now I am buying these pumps regardless of the outcome of this thread, what I am asking is if you are seriously looking at a controllable DC pump, either in the 110v or 220v version, that I will tack on your order with mine. Please read the pdf manual, I will also post another as soon as I can get it off my other computer, so you can make an informed decision.
I have been in contact directly with the manufacturer and have got a fairly good deal on these pumps, several hundred dollars off each pump. Now before I get into too much detail, Ill try to get a bit more information on this thread. Ill also try to answer any questions you have, but please, if you are interested, look over the manual.
Lets try to keep this thread on track, I can get any series you wish, but I'm sure the 240v is more than enough for most larger tanks. I will however, if there is no interest at all, post all the info on how the pumps perform and put as much detail on them as possible. Thanks,
Bob
Old 03-09-2012, 04:32 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Had a read through the manual & failed to see any info on gallons or liters per hour. They go to great lengths to detail the controllability & mention 'true sine wave technology' which has nothing to do with DC voltage? There's also nothing on head pressure specs for the various size pumps? Didn't see anything on a 110 VAC version, only 230 VAC which will require a dedicated 220 VAC circuit similar to the one an electic clothes dryer or electric stove would use. This means installing a two pole circuit breaker for 220 volts in order to use this pump?

I'd be interested in having a look at something more detailed than the user's manual, such as complete tech specs with gph numbers & head pressure capability before I spend money on something like this.

Edit: My mistake, the gph for the 240 watt is listed with the price list at the bottom of one of the web pages. 4850 gph for the 240 watt. Still at 685 British Pounds, that's a pricey pump & head pressure numbers are not available.

Last edited by mike31154; 03-09-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:56 PM

Mike,
I have requested a pump curve chart as well as a more detail tech. spec.
I am a plumber by trade, not a sparky so the aspect of sine wave tech means little to me, my appoligies. I can only assume it has something to do with the inverter, but this is not my area of expertise. I have however relayed the question on to them, I will post what responce I receive.
I am trying to get the information in writing on the 110v and 220v version, I know that both are available as I am ordering both models. I will have both 110v and 220v wired to my aquarium and will test both pumps side by each.
I will be running the 220v on my system, a friend of mine has ordered the 110v version. I asked him if I could compre the unit before he takes the pump, just to see if there is any differences. Which I am sure there will be, but only in the power consumtion.
As for the pricing, I know it seems high. To be completely honest, I see this as my main return pumps with controlability. I do not have to buy power heads such as the ecotech or tunze to acheive waves or random flow patterns as it can be done with the pumps controller(both the basic or the advanced controller), or with the 1-10v interface.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:09 PM

Ive also been asked what I get out of all this, why am I trying to promote these pumps? The simple answer to the promotion is this, the cost of the pumps may go down a little bit more. But I am paying the same price as you would, I am not receiving any free product or getting any monetary gain. I am interested in what these pumps can bring to my system and they are the cheapest of the ones I have found, believe it or not.
If anything, sit back and read the thread as it progresses, I will post anything I find with the install and proformance of the pumps. I know the promise of a all powerful DC pump has been brought to the market before and failed miserably. Im doing this because, I suppose I can(and its a pump I want) and I find it hard to believe that a pump like this is not in our market. If anything, it will bring a bit of new info into our forum.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:11 PM

Always cool to see someone such as yourself trying a new product & a controllable return pump is certainly an option many of us could use! Once something like this gets rolling, often other manufacturers will look to get in on the game provided patents don't stifle competition too much.

Good to hear that you'll be getting some more specs on the unit, particularly the head loss curve. As far as the electrical part of it, seems many products have a lot of technobabble on their web pages to impress & confuse folks in an effort to persuade them that their product is somehow exclusive.

Panworld has been producing DC voltage pumps for some time, but there is no controller, you simply feed the rated DC voltage directly to the pump, same as a standard AC voltage pump. Thing is, our homes are fed 60Hz AC voltage, so to run any DC pump, you need a rectifier to produce the DC voltage. With a heavy duty variable resistor, you could make a simple manual control for any DC driven pump, much like a conventional dimmer. It would take a few more parts & circuits to make this automatic & that's generally where the high cost comes in.

Here's my best guess as to why they talk about pure sine wave with respect to this pump. Looking at the Controller circuit diagram on page 12 of the User Manual, I suspect that the motor itself is a 3 phase AC motor & the only thing DC about it is the Controller itself. The Contoller is fed household 60Hz, 2 phase AC voltage which it rectifies to DC. This DC voltage is then fed to the Control Circuit which actually produces a 3 phase AC or PWM signal. The PWM signal is then fed to the 3 phase Inverter Bridge & finally to the AC motor. This is probably why they talk of the pure sine wave. As I mentioned earlier, the motor itself is actually a 3 phase AC motor being fed a controllable, pure sine wave AC signal from the motor Controller!

Hope this is not too confusing & somewhat informative, I tried to keep it relatively simple and of course it's just my best guess as to how it works based on the block diagram. Bottom line I think is, the relatively high cost of this pump can be attributed to the Controller.

Looking forward to hearing a bit more once you get your hands on these.

Last edited by mike31154; 03-09-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:26 PM

Mike,
Thanks for the input, this is part of the reason I wanted to post here. There is a pile of information that can be aquired based on one's profession, any information is apprieciated.
I know the pumps themselves, regardless of if they are 110v or 220v are the exact same pump. The difference is the controller that comes with them. So what your saying does make sense.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:38 PM

Found some additional info on another web site, specifically max head pressure for each model:

Model MaxFlow(gph) MaxWattage Maxhead(metres) Price

BlueEco240 4840 240 9 689.95

BlueEco320 4840 320 11 795.00

BlueEco500 7000 500 11 1175.00

BlueEco900 7700 900 13 1395.00

BlueEco1500 9240 1500 16 1495.00

9 meters of max head for the 240 is pretty huge, that's > 30 ft.

Info is a way down on the following web page. Took a while to load, not sure what's up with that.

http://www.koicarp.org.uk/koi_dry_goods_water.htm
Old 03-13-2012, 03:25 AM

Mike,
I pulled this out of the email they sent:

"the power module uses true sine wave technology for high reliability. Unlike brushless DC motors with square wave technique"

Don't quite know what that means as I'm a plumber not an electrician. Care to shed some light on this?

Pumps curves are hopefully coming soon.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 03-13-2012, 03:54 AM

subman is on a distinguished road

cheaper inverters make a squared off sine wave, basically instead of a nice curved wave its clipped at the top. The better the inverter the closer to a true sine wave it is.

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca
Old 03-13-2012, 03:56 AM

subman is on a distinguished road

http://www.bdbatteries.com/images/sinevsmod.jpg

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca