Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-14-2013, 08:27 PM

George is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
I checked with bog als and I can get a 55 for a decent price. Have a canister filter and heater, light, ECT already so I think on going to get that and qt all the fish and do hypo. Let the tank go fallow for.12 weeks just to be damn sure. I i just have to decide if a 55 is big enough or if it's worth the extra 125$ to go with a 90. No 75s in stock unfortunately.
If just for QT, I will buy the 55 g. 55 g and 90 g have the same length. save the $125 for other things.
Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi View Post
Tangs are notorious for ich outbreaks. Qt the tangs. And when you reintroduce it back to maindisplay. Use utmost caution and the best acclimation procedures (minimal stress, low light, drip acclimate . Etc etc). Borrow a uv sterilizer or purchase one or increase water change frequency. They help in addition to regular water changes. Hopefully it can fight off the ich.
The ich lifecycle is really a hit or a miss. Some people have 99.9% success rate for 8 weeks of fallow tank. But some with only ten days of fallow. Then there are the poor bastards who waits for that 99.9% 8 week fallow period and still get hit with ich. Then there are people who gives them garlic and vitamins and they appear to gain "immunity". Ich is always going to be there wih the garlic and vit method. Its as us living along with the common cold. No biggie
But in my experience. Garlic. Fallow for two weeks and uv with 10% water change twice a week rid of it entirely.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2
There are different strains of marine ich. Although their life cycles are basically the same, the time spent on tomont stage (the reproductive stage) is different from strain to strain. And the strains infecting our fish have longer and longer tomont stage over the years. I remember when I first started marine fish many years ago, the recommended fallow time is 4+ weeks, and then 6+ weeks, and then 8+ weeks, now 11+ weeks.
I don't recommend just letting marine ich running its course. And I don't believe in letting our fish suffer with marine ich over and over again. There are proven ways to get rid of marine ich in our tanks. Garlic, vitamin, UV are not the ways.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 PM

chi is on a distinguished road

Im only suggesting that Itll help with the outbreak. In the long run...fish living with ich will have shortened lifespans and poor gill functions since most parasites loves the tissue there . But i see now hes gotten a qt tank for a fair price and thats awesome.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-14-2013, 10:20 PM

Baldy is on a distinguished road

I've been reading alot lately on ich and methods of dealing with it. Seems that the full qt with hypo to rid the dt is the best way to go. I don't mind a bit of cost now as its less than I have in fish in the tank. Plus a guy gets attached to the little buggers :P