Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-02-2010, 01:05 AM

golf nut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezetyle View Post
I understand that. But say, someone was using there return pump for extra flow to their tank. The extra water movement through there wouldn't technically affect the skim-mate that is pulled out of the water.

That being said, there is no actual way to test out these theories as a skimmer pulls out skim-mate in both situations. This test would be almost impossible because everyones tank (or say a "test tank") would differ from one another so getting a control would be practically impossible. I am not saying your opinion is wrong/invalid , I am just saying that in my opinion the flow rate through your sump isn't a big thing to lose sleep on.
I would hate you to lose sleep, however the flow past the skimmer is directly proportional to it's performance.

From my first post I mentioned that PROVIDING the flow in the tank is moving correctly then a 1 to 2 times turnover rate is more than adequate and anything else id disadvantageous.

If I give you phone numbers for the top ten skimmer manufacturers would you call them and tell them they are wrong?

Just a question to you, do you think that a 10% water change done everyday is the same as a 100% water change every 10 days?
Old 04-02-2010, 01:08 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr OM View Post
If you skim it 100% then what you return to the tank is clean, if you skim 10% of it then 90% of what you return is dirty or unskimmed, why would you do that when it costs more money in hydro and pumps to do worse?
When it comes down to it a sump has more uses than placing your skimmer in it, extremely slow flow could invoke negative side effects for your reactors, heaters and makes filter socks practically useless.

Do you have any articles that I could read that would sway my opinion? I understand your logic but in a practical setting nutrients are not only on the surface and increasing the flow allows proteins that are dissolved to be removed.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:13 AM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Just a question to you, do you think that a 10% water change done everyday is the same as a 100% water change every 10 days?
No they are not the same. My comments were not made as an attack, which it seems to me is how they were taken as per the condescending tone in the last post. I understand that slower flow would result in better skimming due to less dilution from mixing the skimmed water with the DT water. that is also an example of your water change remark. a 100% water change is a lot different that 10%/day.

I were merely stating my opinion and am done on the matter. Anything else feel free to pm instead of filling up the boards.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:18 AM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

These theories are all based on the idea that your sump is a filter. While it may seam that most of the water cleaning devices people use are situated in the sump, this doesn't make the sump a filter. It's a place to house filtration equipment. I view my tank, my sump, my refugium and all of the plumbing in between as 1 body of water. So to me it doesn't matter how much flow goes through my sump because my skimmer would work the same down there as it would hanging off the side of my tank, or in my refugium.

As Levi said, the skimmer works at a set rate so it shouldn't matter how much flow is churning around it.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 04-02-2010, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
When it comes down to it a sump has more uses than placing your skimmer in it, extremely slow flow could invoke negative side effects for your reactors, heaters and makes filter socks practically useless.
In what way could they be problematic how would a filter sock become useless

what should the flow be through the following?

Refugium
UV filter
Charcoal filter
Phosphate filter
Water polisher
etc etc etc.

all are very low requirements, other than the possibility that the skimmer MAY work at 10 times turn over why would you do it?
Old 04-02-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny zubot View Post
my skimmer would work the same down there as it would hanging off the side of my tank, or in my refugium.

That part of your statement is not true it would work better under lower flow circumstances,
it would be more effective hanging on the back of your tank than being in the sump with a 10x turnover rate.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezetyle View Post
No they are not the same. My comments were not made as an attack, which it seems to me is how they were taken as per the condescending tone in the last post. I understand that slower flow would result in better skimming due to less dilution from mixing the skimmed water with the DT water. that is also an example of your water change remark. a 100% water change is a lot different that 10%/day.

I were merely stating my opinion and am done on the matter. Anything else feel free to pm instead of filling up the boards.

I answered a post, I was challenged with my answers and replied to the questions, I would be happy to PM you so the boards are uncluttered, but why?

PM sent

Last edited by golf nut; 04-02-2010 at 01:38 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:28 AM

Milad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Milad

so did my thread just get hijacked?
all i wanted to know was should i buy a 1325gph pump or a smaller one, lol
Old 04-02-2010, 01:32 AM

Buy the smaller, cheaper, practical, more efficient one.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:52 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In what way could they be problematic how would a filter sock become useless

what should the flow be through the following?

Refugium
UV filter
Charcoal filter
Phosphate filter
Water polisher
etc etc etc.

all are very low requirements, other than the possibility that the skimmer MAY work at 10 times turn over why would you do it?
The filter sock would loose efficiency because it requires high flow to capture as much particulate as possible. You keep restating your point, your logic is understandable but I need some concrete proof (And no I'm not going to call Euro reef and ask them) before I believe it.

The reason I don't believe you is because I own a skimmer, I have 7X turn over in my main tank and still get a very large amount of skimmate production.

If I slowed the flow down even more to the sump would I get more concentrated skimate...? I highly doubt it, again nutrients don't only exist on the surface they are mostly found dissolved in the water column. Considering that letting your skimmer have more access to the polluted water makes more sense.