Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 02-26-2009, 03:28 AM

Lydia is on a distinguished road

I stopped adding it up after I stocked the first SW tank :P Now I just chuck all my receipts into a file folder - I can add it up anytime I want to. Yep, anytime now...

Or not
Old 02-26-2009, 04:30 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfish55 View Post
If the $1000 price tag on a piece of acrylic with a pump bothers you, contact your local plastics supplier and ask how much a length of 8" cell cast acylic costs. trust me, once you price out the material cost that goes into these things the price of a ready built unit looks pretty good.
Yeah thanks bud...your missing the point.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:32 AM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

i spent $15000 on intrest for my house last year, atleast spending $15000 in the tanks i have something to show for it
Old 02-26-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital-audiophile View Post
I don't even think about it, I enjoy it so its's worth every penny.

Besides, my other hobby is collecting Militaria, and I have been known to spend over $5000 on a single tunic. (Once I get my basement renos finished and have my war room set up proper I am happy to show anyone that comes over )
Maybe its just that I have other expensive hobbies as well

Actually I spend more on traveling (not so much the past year though) which I used to consider a hobby. As well, I used to collect mid century modern furniture which is also much more expensive then aquariums.

But like I said, its not so much the cost as it is what I get for that money. I guess I just don't see the hobby really being worth what we are charged. Not that I am going to stop buying

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
Theres no hard and fast rule that says you need to spend that much on a skimmer. Ultimately you wanted it and thats just the way it is. I can certainly say I wouldn't feel comfortable spending that kind of money on a skimmer. I always buy used and frankly, I'd rather fritter it away on crap (and believe you me, I can do that like nobodys business, this year has been a record setter)
I agree to a point. I didn't have to buy a $1000 skimmer but at the same time, I messed around with crappy cheap ones for so long that I did feel it necessary if I wanted to keep a high bioload and clean water.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i have crabs View Post
i spent $15000 on intrest for my house last year, atleast spending $15000 in the tanks i have something to show for it
Well I see the house as an investment though...the tank is the opposite.

But yeah I would rather spend $15K on a tank than interest.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:52 AM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Nano tank = Nano price
Old 02-26-2009, 05:02 AM

Matt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Matt

Interesting thread. I've never regretted the money I've spent, but after a number of years, I'm considering shutting down. We're building a new house, and right there in the plans is a nice 180 in the living room, with a fish room in the basement. When I start adding up how much that will cost... I'm not sure. I can buy some nice art for that kind of scratch.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:44 PM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

I really don't even give it a thought. As long as my family is well taken care of and my future is covered everything I spend is fine.

I have found that over the last number of years even though I buy new things I am generally selling something to cover off the cost.

In the last number of years there has been an increase in the amount of very expensive fish, equipment and corals available to the hobbyist. Some I can justify and some I can not.

Example if you buy an everyday coral you can only get so much ($10 to $20) for a frag of it. If however you buy a new to the market spectacular coral you can get a much better price ($20 to $40) for a frag until the distribution of that coral makes it just another every day coral.

Tom R
Old 02-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post

I agree to a point. I didn't have to buy a $1000 skimmer but at the same time, I messed around with crappy cheap ones for so long that I did feel it necessary if I wanted to keep a high bioload and clean water.
Oh I totally agree, esp if you've dealt with the crappy ones for so long. Its more a matter of FFS, I'll pay whatever I have to to get one that works!! I just haven't been sold on those $1K skimmers yet. There is no doubt in my mind that one day I will be

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:16 PM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

If I don't feel guilty about dropping $20,000-$30,000 into a project car that is still not on the road, a few grand on aquarium stuff is not going to cause me to lose sleep.. only trouble is I am putting more time into work and the tanks lately, not enough time on the car.....maybe downsize a bit.. five sw tanks is getting a bit much......maybe not