Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Coral Master

Old 01-23-2011, 05:51 PM

Cranky When Wet is on a distinguished road
Default Thank you for how-to directions... Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tparsons View Post
There is a couple different ways to mount the Reefbrite LEDs on Tek fixtures.

1) You can screw them into the side of your Tek fixture with self-tapping screws.
2) take the endcaps off your Tek, mark the holes, drill holes in the Tek, and then
a) use some nuts and bolts to attach the LED strips
b) use a rivet to hold them in place

Otherwise, Reef Brite has actually made a mounting bracket with 3 or 5 holes, if you are just mounting the strips and not attaching them to anything else.

As for Par, independent testing is showing anywhere between 2-4 times the PAR output of T5 lighting. We have heard 2 x the output of the ATI Blue Plus running in the ATI powermodule, but we have also heard of up to 4 x the output of other T5's running in other fixtures.
I am sure age of the T5 lamps as well the type of fixture they are running in , accounts for these large discrepencies. However, at a minimum of 2 x the output, it is still really good.

We run one of our LPS coral beds exclusively with a mix of the ReefBrite 50/50's and actinic and we have been seeing some great colouration and growth over the past few months.

Lots of discussion on these lights in this thread;
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66116
Hi T (Trina?) Parsons!

And thank you for clear explanation about mounting these strips. I would love to be able to have some SPS as well as my beloved LPS corals

I will talk with Snappy about them for sure.

Where are you guys in Ottawa? I used to live there three decades ago (oh heck, I said that out loud).

Regards from Calgary,

Bunny

p.s. I did read that thread and found it informative as well>:-) Looks like the dawning of a new Light age for reefers! Yaaay!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:39 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

I've got the reefbrites mounted in a tek light on my tank.

Here's the thread with the installation... looks very slick
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67874

I just added some SPS a couple of weeks ago, you can follow the progress (and future growth under the reef-brites) in my build thread here:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65983

Overall I'm very happy with the lights. In hindsight I might not've gotten the 50/50 and instead just picked up an all blue and all white. But it's tough to say without seeing the various combinations firsthand.

I like having the T5's integrated with the light so I can change the colour inexpensively and add spectrums that I wouldn't see with strictly LED's
Old 01-23-2011, 08:44 PM

Cranky When Wet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Fork View Post
I've got the reefbrites mounted in a tek light on my tank.

Here's the thread with the installation... looks very slick
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67874

I just added some SPS a couple of weeks ago, you can follow the progress (and future growth under the reef-brites) in my build thread here:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65983

Overall I'm very happy with the lights. In hindsight I might not've gotten the 50/50 and instead just picked up an all blue and all white. But it's tough to say without seeing the various combinations firsthand.

I like having the T5's integrated with the light so I can change the colour inexpensively and add spectrums that I wouldn't see with strictly LED's
Wow! The threads are great and I'm learning tons! Even this newbie Bunny could do it unsupervised (maybe) LOL!!! Thanks for linking me/us up!

Bunny
Old 01-23-2011, 10:44 PM

tparsons is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky When Wet View Post
Hi T (Trina?) Parsons!

And thank you for clear explanation about mounting these strips. I would love to be able to have some SPS as well as my beloved LPS corals

I will talk with Snappy about them for sure.

Where are you guys in Ottawa? I used to live there three decades ago (oh heck, I said that out loud).

Regards from Calgary,

Bunny

p.s. I did read that thread and found it informative as well>:-) Looks like the dawning of a new Light age for reefers! Yaaay!
Hey Bunny,
Yes this is Trina. Thanks for the link to your modifcation of a Tek fixture. It is great to see
I personally like the look of 50/50 and blue ReefBrites over tanks, but I have always been known to like a "bluer" tank. Some pictures of this lighting will be shown shortly as we have started the re-build of my non-photo tank.

For now, we use the ReefBrites as supplementation on our SPS beds. And the actinics add great colour to those systems and I adore the shimmer they add back to our personal T5 tank