Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-21-2012, 09:29 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs247 View Post
Thanks Enigma. I have seen that chart but I'm a bit confused about some of the features.

The differences I see between the Lite and the JR are that the former has (correct me if I'm wrong, not sure about any of this):

- ph out of the box with the addition of a probe (to add ph to the junior a pm1 module would be needed)
- a display (a big feature, but smartphone or pc could be used as a workaround)
- vdm (have no idea what it is or if I need it)
- legacy support (again, no idea what it is or if I'll need it given my setup)
- upgradability (a big feature - would I need more than 5 aquabus modules for the equipment I've listed above?)

Does this sound correct? Any insight from anyone on the above would be great. Thanks.
I'm really new to all of this, but the above looks correct to me.

The VDM (Variable Speed/Dimming Module) will allow one to control most LED systems (I think) with the exception already noted. It will also allow one to control powerheads (I'm unsure of brand comparability).

I think it is very hard to determine how many modules someone will need. Technology changes things so rapidly. It may be that today only four would be required, but who knows what abilities will be available in a year or two. I personally don't like the limitation of 5 modules.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:01 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

I still say go with the Apex full system as it has more built in functionality already just in case you upgrade something down the road. I have a Profilux 2ex on the 8'er but if I bought an Apex it would have been the full meal deal because you just never know what might be down the road.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 05-22-2012, 05:08 AM

syncro is on a distinguished road

You can expand any Apex model to get any feature offered by the higher models. It may or may not be cheaper in the long run to buy a more expensive model now.

For example, if you think down the road at most you'll add is pH then an Apex Jr. + pH expansion module is cheaper than an Apex Lite. If you think down the road you'll need pH + 8 outlets + VDM + display then the Apex Lite or Apex will be cheaper.

All depends on where you will go, but at least you won't have to throw away your initial investment regardless of your decision now.

Also these Apex units are rarely sold used and keep their value compared to most electronics.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:55 AM

habs247 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone. I don't doubt I'll be back with questions re: getting it going!
Old 05-24-2012, 07:55 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Nothing worse than buying something new and finding out it's not expandable enough to meet your needs ...

I bought a different brand beginner level unit. Before I even took it off the LR rubbermaid it was running, I realized it would not handle all the modules I would need
I ended up buying the top level unit before I even had my DT ready to run

Add up what it will cost you to add all the things you'll need later ...

Nothing like spending it all now and not regretting it down the road
Old 05-25-2012, 05:53 AM

Thanks everyone. Now debating between the Lite and the full blown unit.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:37 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

You'll have to do the math to decide at this point. If you want a VDM at some point in time, it might be a couple of bucks cheaper for you to get the Apex: unless you're planning on using the AI Sols, as you'll need the actual VDM module for those and you can get the Lite.

At least three of the forum sponsors have very good pricing on them: Red Coral (I just got their last one), J&L (only has the full Apex in stock last time I checked), and Go Reef (don't remember what their stock is like). I've found that the pH probes are an extra cost for either the Lite or the Apex. The standard pH probe was originally included in the Apex packages, but it looks like that has changed. So, if you want the pH probe you're paying for it either way.

If you want to run two pH probes right off the bat, the Apex can do that without an additional module. So, if you want VDM and a second pH probe, go with the Apex as then you will save money (unless you still need to purchase the VDM module for AI Sols . . . then you'll break even or save a couple of bucks).

You'll have lots of options for expandability and few (if any) limitations with either unit, so even if you just base your purchase on what is in stock and readily available you can't really go wrong (though you may pay a bit more in the end).
Old 05-25-2012, 06:06 PM

tinman is on a distinguished road
Default apex

if you go full blown apex you can do top off and tunze 6055 pumps or any tunze controllable units with the cables supplied by neptune or add the wireless unit for the vortech all work very well for me
if you go apex lite you need to add the vdm for the tunze and any 0-10 volt control but you can still do top off with a float switch or 2 depending on how you set it up.

Last edited by tinman; 05-25-2012 at 06:10 PM. Reason: missing info
Old 05-28-2012, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman View Post
if you go full blown apex you can do top off and tunze 6055 pumps or any tunze controllable units with the cables supplied by neptune or add the wireless unit for the vortech all work very well for me
if you go apex lite you need to add the vdm for the tunze and any 0-10 volt control but you can still do top off with a float switch or 2 depending on how you set it up.
This has me thinking. Would this mean i would be able to control my existing tunze ATO with the Neptune?
Old 05-28-2012, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
You'll have to do the math to decide at this point. If you want a VDM at some point in time, it might be a couple of bucks cheaper for you to get the Apex: unless you're planning on using the AI Sols, as you'll need the actual VDM module for those and you can get the Lite.

At least three of the forum sponsors have very good pricing on them: Red Coral (I just got their last one), J&L (only has the full Apex in stock last time I checked), and Go Reef (don't remember what their stock is like). I've found that the pH probes are an extra cost for either the Lite or the Apex. The standard pH probe was originally included in the Apex packages, but it looks like that has changed. So, if you want the pH probe you're paying for it either way.

If you want to run two pH probes right off the bat, the Apex can do that without an additional module. So, if you want VDM and a second pH probe, go with the Apex as then you will save money (unless you still need to purchase the VDM module for AI Sols . . . then you'll break even or save a couple of bucks).

You'll have lots of options for expandability and few (if any) limitations with either unit, so even if you just base your purchase on what is in stock and readily available you can't really go wrong (though you may pay a bit more in the end).
Thanks for this. Very helpful I had no idea they dropped the ph probe on the full blown Alex. The company website still lists the old package.