Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-09-2011, 03:56 PM

dhraako is on a distinguished road
Default esv salt kit

Anyone know where to get this in Canada? My brother has it in the States and I was absolutely amazed at the results of it.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:45 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

no place carries it in Canada - I called ESV had their secretary confirm all outgoing Canadian orders.

I get it shipped to the border and pick it up. Premium Aquatics has free shipping after X dollars are spent and it includes Salt - which is usually an exception with other companies. I am down to my last 30-40 gallons so i may need to pick up more but my passport expired.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:56 PM

dhraako is on a distinguished road

Damn, I was really hoping someone would carry it. I e-mailed JL because they carry other esv products.

How do you find its performance? I was amazed when my brother did a water change. EVERYTHING extended out or opened up after the change. Instant response to the change.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:37 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

i started with this salt. 200 gallon box on a 50 gallon (total system volume) tank. mixes very clean. Though you MUST have a scale to get all the proportions right or it always mix low. I found a cheap scale at my local head shop (about $40). make sure you buy the correct calibration weights cause itll lose calibration the day you need to make a water change asap (murphy's law)

i tested my system last week - about ten sps frags, couple zoos and 10 fish. Calcium was at 470/ALK at 8.1 (both with salifert) and Mg was at 1400-1500 (Red sea)

its annoying to have to wiegh stuff each time but its an extremely clean salt. I see pictures of what IO/RC leaves behind and i definately dont get any of that.

if you do get the salt, order the jug pumps from BRS... you will need two of them. Its real hard to pour to an exact wieght with those big one gallon jugs.

on my tank a 200 gallon box will last almost a year (4 gallon WC every week ~10% system volume) - this time it only lasted a few months because i cycled my rocks in a seperate container and did a couple 100% changes when doing that.

i would offer to buy an extra box and ship it to you but its literally 100lbs of dry and wet products to ship. If you can get some of your local reefers in on shipment order a skid through JL. I called them to see if they would order me a box and they said no. So did every other store. I just called my local shop and hes going to look into it but he doesnt think its going to be easy to bring in just from a cost perspective. Key is going to be to get a group buy going and pay the store in advance for it. Its just not popular enough to bring into Canada