Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 01-13-2015, 05:29 AM

EarthEaterBob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
My thought is that I have never seen a bare bottom ocean. Or sea for that matter. Or lake even. Or river.
If you think the majority of the coral that we keep in our tanks actually get anywhere near sand in their natural environment, you'd be fooling yourself

That being said, I like sand for the aesthetics. But BB is definitely a ton easier to clean...
Old 05-05-2014, 07:35 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott tang View Post
Lmao I vote sand two you can't have wrass without sand
There are many wrasse that don't need sand beds , including all Cirrhilabrus (fairy wrasse) , and even the wrasse that do sleep in the sand for example halichoeres family ,can adapt without a sandbed from what I have read and also heard from other reefers who have kept them in bare bottom tanks.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:41 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leach29 View Post
I am in the process of setting up a new FOWLR tank. Dims are 72x24x27.

I am curious on everyone's thoughts on sand vs. bare bottom? I have seen lots of bare bottoms recently.

Thanks
What types of fish do you plan to keep? Many large fish, (big Tangs come to mind first) are quite smart and will use their pectoral fins near the sand to flush food out. In the process they move the sand around - some do this A LOT. Most of the FOWLR tanks that I know of personally may as well be barebottom because the fish have moved the sand about so much that half the glass is showing anyway!

If you do want sand, keeping one of the larger sand sifting fish (like Valenciennea sp gobies) really helps to keep the sand much cleaner. They can be a pain in the butt in reef tanks because they bury corals in sand, but they are a must-have in FO tanks imo. Also, choose a larger grain sand so you can vacuum it easier - nothing finer than the Caribsea Special Grade, but not so coarse that it traps food like crushed coral will.

You can go either direction and have a healthy tank. It's more about how much maintenance do you want to do and what look you prefer. Barebottom tanks, if you position your flow right and lift your rocks off the bottom you can do absolutely no vacuuming/bottom siphoning and can incorporate an easy water change system. With sand, you will be (should be) in there vacuuming it every week or two.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 01-13-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:31 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

I think a tank looks incomplete with no sand on the bottom, It personal preference I like a sand bottom.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:36 AM

tytown is on a distinguished road

I'm a bare bottom guy.
With the right flow and a good sump/skimmer, I think your regular eras of neglect can go longer with less reprocussions! On the same note I believe a sand bed brings some nutrient instabilities if they are disturbed or not taken care of
AND there are no scratches on my glass.
On the flip side there are some fish I would like to have but wouldn't even consider because I'm bare bottom.

Tags
sand