Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 06-12-2010, 02:09 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough
Default Dumb fish!

So I was thinking to myself this morning that I haven't seen my Secretive/Scarlet Pin Stripe Wrasse in a few days. When the lights came on I looked all around in the tank but didn't see him. Unfortunately I found him behind the tank on the floor all dried up

As someone's signature say's "when a fish jumps out why doesn't he scream for help" I'd sure like to know that too right now.

I have a few wrasses in my reef tank and this is the first wrasse to ever jump out on me. What a waste and he was doing so good too

R.I.P.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:54 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Aww that sucks. I always wonder what fish think they're jumping towards. Freedom?

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:05 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Think they just get startled. In the ocean a burst of speed takes you somewhere else, in a tank it either lands you into something solid or on an unlucky trajectory straight out.

I think around half of the wrasses I've owned met their ends on the floor.

Netting/coverings the only way to go to really hedge our bets methinks.

Sorry for your loss Laurie ..
Old 06-12-2010, 03:10 AM

silentcivilian is on a distinguished road

No good. Same thing happened to me for a fish that i would have never expected to jump. I lost a orange spotted sand goby to the leap of faith to test for god.... no fish god there that day. Oddly, I came in that night at 3am, looked at the tank, he was just sitting in his burrow happy as can be, woke up at 6 for work, and he was a victim of gravity.

Sorry you had to lose a fish that way, I know that it sucks.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Think they just get startled. In the ocean a burst of speed takes you somewhere else, in a tank it either lands you into something solid or on an unlucky trajectory straight out.

I think around half of the wrasses I've owned met their ends on the floor.

Netting/coverings the only way to go to really hedge our bets methinks.

Sorry for your loss Laurie ..
Thanks guys and Tony you're right about the netting, however my boyfriend wont let me put any over the tank because it casts shadows. I have a dumb black evil damsel (boyfriend saw him when he was small and cute and wanted him, I thought at the time it was a bad idea but we ended up getting him anyway) and he chases my wrasses around so I wouldn't be surprised if it was the damsel that spooked the wrasse. Although the secretive wrasse was somewhat aggressive and I don't remember the damsel chasing him.

Last edited by fishoholic; 06-12-2010 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:47 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Sorry you lost your wrasse. Never had a jumper yet with SW but had my share with FW over the years.

My tank is in my living room with the TV and my daughter watches Finding Nemo a lot. I should start hanging something over the tank to keep my own idiots from getting any 'smart ideas'...
Old 06-12-2010, 07:25 AM

dillia31 is on a distinguished road

sorry about your jumper, thats so sad,
I have had jumper's that have had the same faith except for one--------
I have a strange tale, this happen few weeks ago.My daughter brought a common comet gold fish home,that she had bought and gave it to her little brother.
A few nights later something awoke me from sleep 3 am, i go out in to the kitchen, the tank that the gold fish was in is empty, the fish had some how squeezed threw the top and jump out,.I found it half dried on the floor, I thougth ooo no its dead, pick it up and gave my hand a little shake, dam thing moved a very little bit, put it into the water and it stated breathing and them slowly swiming
two days later my daughter finds the darn fish, dry to the touch on the floor again, when she picks it up is mouth moves a little bit, she put it into its tank, and comes into my room , and tells me that "Bubba's fish has jump again, but ,its still alive and swimmming"
One week later the fish , has stopped jummping, and still swimming
hmmmmm weird fish

Last edited by dillia31; 06-12-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:32 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Of the four fish I've had jump two of them were wrasses. Fortunately the second wrasse and one of the other fish to jump both landed in the sump so no harm was done. Even if you don't want to put netting over top of your tank do you at least have a canopy or crown around it to help deflect jumpers back into the water?

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour

Last edited by whatcaneyedo; 06-12-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
Of the four fish I've had jump two of them were wrasses. Fortunately the second wrasse and one of the other fish to jump both landed in the sump so no harm was done. Even if you don't want to put netting over top of your tank do you at least have a canopy or crown around it to help deflect jumpers back into the water?
I do have a 7" canopy around the front and sides. I'm thinking I should try to add some sort of blocker along the back. Shouldn't be too hard but the tank is pretty close to the wall so there isn't a lot of room to work with. Some sort of plank of wood should fit back there though and work, I think.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:37 PM

noirsphynx is on a distinguished road

I just saw this Laurie. So sorry to hear that