Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-22-2011, 08:13 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

OK so I'm now working on getting the fixture with work with the LEDcontrol4 module and the profilux controller. So far I've had limited luck on trying to figure out how these things connect and I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple people who know more than me. So if anyone has ideas please post.

This is the LEDcontrol module:
http://support.aquariumcomputer.com/...2011-02-11.pdf

And this is the driver:
http://stevesleds.com/uploads/Quad_L...de_1.27.11.doc

What I need to know is exactly what pins from LEDcontrol connect to the driver. I'm assuming pins 2-5 on the LEDcontrol connect to Pin 2 on the corresponding drivers but I don't know what connect to Pin 1 on LEDcontrol and if I need something to connect to Pin 4 on the drivers.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 09-23-2011, 02:34 AM

OK so I was unable to get the PWM controlling working however I believe it's possible with some further investigations, it's just unfortunate that a product that is geared towards the DIY market has such little support and documentation. Realistically a decent manual with examples of how to connect typical drivers would be helpful instead of the typical spec sheet that tends to focus the details on what it can do rather than how.

Anyways I've installed the fixture with the manual dimmers to get a feel for what this thing can do, here's a FTS with 100% blue, 10% red, and 50% white (the color I'm most happy with):

Not the greatest picture but my camera did have issue balancing the color.

Anyways my final thoughts are not great, overall this style of lighting isn't for me and I'll either sell it as is for what I can get or rebuilt some kind of hybrid.

These are my problems, some I feel are related to how it was built but others on LEDs in general.
  • Main issue is it doesn't work for rimless tank, having an open fixture means when I sit in my living room I have 126 LEDs shining in my eyes.
  • The color isn't as good, the corals simply don't reflect the same colors as they do with other options.
  • Overall brightness isn't impressive, running close to capacity over 300W of LEDs seems comparable to 200W of T5s, to my eyes anyway, yes PAR may tell a different story.
  • The fans are still noticeable, considering that I went through great lengths to eliminate the slightest noise even the quiets fans are a nuisance.
  • It's overly complicated, I just can't get over it, I feel it will be a constant problem in the future with too many parts to fail. One driver already failed from ESD, although this was my fault during construction.
  • The controller was a big fail, although possible far from plug and play like I was hoping and told by some.

All in all, I'll be investigating other options and I'll take what I can get for this fixture.

Last edited by sphelps; 09-23-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:06 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Interesting conclusion. Do you think some of the issues related to failing equipment and coloration may be due to the choice of the budget "Steve's LED's"?

Are the fans noisy because they are high flow or because they blow into a contained tunnel which creates some additional noise?

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:32 AM

Kronk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
These are my problems, some I feel are related to how it was built but others on LEDs in general.
I applaud your effort, this was a creative design and looks great. I am sure you wont have an issue selling it. What are the dimensions of the canopy?

Cheers,
Ken
Old 09-23-2011, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
Interesting conclusion. Do you think some of the issues related to failing equipment and coloration may be due to the choice of the budget "Steve's LED's"?

Are the fans noisy because they are high flow or because they blow into a contained tunnel which creates some additional noise?
I wouldn't call it budget equipment, it's good quality stuff and I've worked with cree and meanwell parts as well. The drivers are just a little more sensitive since they are just the raw circuit boards so ESD protection is something I should have taken more seriously. However the drivers are easily replaced and inexpensive. Coloration is typical with what you see with LEDs, I just don't care for it but was hoping mixing in some red and eliminating the use of optics would make things better but it's personal preference and I'm just not getting it.

The fans are noisy because everything else is quiet, all equipment is remote on another floor. I don't think any other fans would be better, these are quiet fans and the channeling makes no difference.

Again, nothing against LEDs. I wanted to try them so I did but in the end I have to look at the tank everyday and it's just not what I want. Mostly it just how my tank is positioned in the room, up high so when I watch TV the lights beam directly into my eyes and burn my brain, even now it's really annoying. A completely closed canopy would be ideal for this lighting, but again not what I want.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
I applaud your effort, this was a creative design and looks great. I am sure you wont have an issue selling it. What are the dimensions of the canopy?

Cheers,
Ken
3.5" High
Old 09-24-2011, 07:55 PM

Some quick macros under the LEDs, nothing crazy just trying it out.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:11 PM

Couple more shot in RAW mode

Old 09-25-2011, 01:53 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

I think you should hold off on selling the LEDs for a month at least.. just to get over the "thats different" phase. cuz I got to tell you thats some of the nicest colors I have seen in pictures that is natural looking and not looking like your using tricks to make the colors 10 times more saturated than they are.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:22 AM

Sebae again is on a distinguished road

I agree. Those pics look like they could be text book examples.