Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-14-2012, 02:49 AM

mandyplo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
A baffle is simply a wall in your sump that separates sections or directs water flow in a certain path. You appear to have 2 baffles that make 3 compartments in your sump. Baffles can be as simple as a single wall/divider or a series of walls that direct water flow. Some people build what are called bubble traps by employing two or more baffles.
ok - so if I have 2 already how can I further reduce the bubbles ? Near the end of the night tonight before the lights went off the water was getting pretty cloudy
Old 12-14-2012, 04:23 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyplo View Post
ok - so if I have 2 already how can I further reduce the bubbles ? Near the end of the night tonight before the lights went off the water was getting pretty cloudy
I'm not 100% certain I know what you mean by cloudy. To me cloudy and bubbly are two different things :-) Maybe a picture of the cloudy tank?

If you want to build bubble traps into your sump you will have to drain it and add additional baffles between your skimmer section and return section.

Here is an example of a bubble trap.

Bubbles will always tend to float to the surface, so in this picture, as the water flows over the first baffle, bubbles from your skimmer will mostly stay afloat as water travels down and under the second baffle. As water is forced to flow back up and over the third baffle so are any bubbles that may have made it through to this point.

And here is an actual application of the bubble trap.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
I'm not 100% certain I know what you mean by cloudy. To me cloudy and bubbly are two different things :-) Maybe a picture of the cloudy tank?

If you want to build bubble traps into your sump you will have to drain it and add additional baffles between your skimmer section and return section.

Here is an example of a bubble trap.

Bubbles will always tend to float to the surface, so in this picture, as the water flows over the first baffle, bubbles from your skimmer will mostly stay afloat as water travels down and under the second baffle. As water is forced to flow back up and over the third baffle so are any bubbles that may have made it through to this point.

And here is an actual application of the bubble trap.
I love you guys you're always such good help

Those pictures made baffles 100% clear to me I Will definitely be adding that third wall in, forcing the water to pass under it rather than just over.

I will try and take a pic but the water is definitely cloudy with bubbles - there are tiny tiny bubbles EVERYWHERE ARGGHHH and it seems to be getting worse

My clams and corals all still look okay except for the frogspawn he looks kinda ****ed. My 2 acan frags are loving my tank, I put them in yesterday and when they arrived they were totally flat and closed up, by the end of the day in my tank they were SUPER super fat (and still are today) and their feeding tentacles came out when the lights went off! These are my first acans ever I'm very excited about them. The mushrooms (ricordea & yuma) Are doing well - Ricordea is totally open and fat, the yuma keeps un-attaching from the rock I glue it to and floats around in my current I cannot get it to stick to anything! I've tried plugs, live rock, rock rubble, and my dry eco rock... I've tried glueing and letting it dry for a few minutes out of water and I've tried in the water and I tried my accelerator, I have given up! The yuma is determined to find its own place to attach in my tank and I'm going to just have to allow it do to so.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:26 AM

Here is my cloudy tank

And here is my neon dottyback being the nosy inquisitive fish that he is while I'm trying to take a pic of my fat acan with half a purple head

Tags
filter fluval bio pellet