Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #1

Old 02-08-2010, 07:04 AM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

So my wife and I moved out of my parents guest house a few months ago and into the place we just built which is a really nice change.

However, I've been crazy busy doing house stuff both before and after the move which is why I haven't been on the site much... just incase you noticed and cared ahah

Anyway... given the building /moving process my tank was a little neglected before I ever left and even more so after I did.

Once we moved out of my parents guest house my little sister moved from the main house out to the guest house so I left my tank with her for a few months. She's been watching it for me... rather unsuccessfully.

I thought she could handle it for a few months but apparently not ahah. I haven't had a chance to move my tank over to the new place until last week but when I went to pick it up there wasn't a whole lot left. Kinda bad on my end to just leave it with her but that's just life sometimes.

Anyway, my wife isn't a huge fan of the tank to begin with so it's new home is the basement. Apparently, the new house is too nice for my my ugly tank to be allowed on the upper floors. ahah But in actuality I'm fine with that. Given the layout of the house the basement is really the best place for it anyway. However, with no flooring down there I decided it'd be better to get the tank up to a more viewable height.

I hope to get a bit more stock in it again but nothing too crazy or too soon given my current wallet situation.

Eventually, I'd like to put a 6' tank in the same spot. Under the stairs would be the fish room. Seems like a good use of what would otherwise be kinda useless space, and it's close to the future laundry room meaning I won't have to go too far for water or a drain.

Anyway, I've attached some pictures in case you care. Sorry the pictures are so crappy but I didn't feel like playing with the white balance or getting a tripod etc.

I'll post my basement floor plan later and get everyone's input on my plans for the future.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:59 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Man that looks pretty sweet but I can't help but think it would look way better if it was just over 4 feet long.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Man that looks pretty sweet but I can't help but think it would look way better if it was just over 4 feet long.
The studs are at 21" spacing and there is a little more room on both sides. I think 4' is too short but we'll see...
Old 02-08-2010, 07:12 PM

I just scanned the builders drawing and drew over it in paint so it's not the greatest but let me know what you think of the plan.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:13 AM

No thoughts? Anyone else have there fish room under the stairs?
Old 02-09-2010, 02:21 PM

The only real problem with your layout is visibility. You won't see it from your living space, it's pretty much in a hallway so really it's not much different from being hidden in a closet. I'd have a hard time enjoying a tank in that type of location.

I like this better

Tank might be a little big but the location works better even if the tank is not as wide.

Also with the fish room being rather small consider keeping the sump under the tank to free up some space in the room. This way you'll have more room for electrical, water change buckets, RO filter, and even a laundry sink.

Last edited by sphelps; 02-09-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:03 PM

Yeah I know what you're saying about the hallway location. I know it's not ideal but the house isn't that big so I need the space for other stuff like workout equipment or eventually the kids toys... very distant future ahah. Plus that tank you drew is HUGE ahah I know that space isn't that big but that's a big tank to fill it ahah
Old 02-10-2010, 08:47 PM

The size of the tank in the picture was kind of my idea of a joke but the location is still good.

You really gotta sit down and think about what you want from this tank, that is if you're actually going to do it. A 6 foot tank no matter how you do it is probably going to cost more than your TV or any piece of art work you put up. If all you're looking for is something to work on as a hobby in your spare time then location isn't that important but if your main goal is to ultimately have something nice to look at then location is key. The main thing I like about my tank is sitting back and looking at it, nothing else compares to how relaxing and beautiful it is to me. That's why when I put my tank up I didn't care that it was a little intrusive and took up living space. I just wanted it where I spend most of my time so I could actually enjoy the fruits of my labor. I think most reefers will agree.

If space is limited then reexamine the size of the tank. A four foot tank will fit better in more locations and ultimately take up less space. I think you have a lot more better options for placement than the hallway. You could even do an in wall setup like this:

I'd bet this would better in every way. It doesn't take up living space, only storage which could be made up with a closet in the hallway or under the stairs. It's also close to the water heater which I believes means a floor drain is close. It's also be easier to light and maintain since it'll be closer to the 4 foot mark.

Something to think about at least.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:12 PM

Might have to re think my plan? Kinda weird to have the tank behind you 90% of the time and I did kinda like it in the hallway so future kids / nieces and nephews won't break it if playing mini stick hockey or something?
Old 02-11-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduperwesman View Post
Might have to re think my plan? Kinda weird to have the tank behind you 90% of the time and I did kinda like it in the hallway so future kids / nieces and nephews won't break it if playing mini stick hockey or something?
Well at least it would be in the room and it would depend on how the rest of the room is laid out. So are you going to have TV down there? I would think that would be just as likely to get broken. If you were that concerned though you could always use plastic or even tempered glass for additional impact strength. But you may be surprised how strong tanks can be, I remember some careless douche smashed a wii remote pretty darn hard against my old tank and it didn't break