Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-21-2011, 06:42 AM

silentcivilian is on a distinguished road
Angry Conundrum.

So I needed to get this out, and now since I have two stories, all the better.

So ill leave names out of it, and stores. But I had a serious headshaking moment recently.

I was at my LFS shop of choice. I was near the back where the tanks I enjoy are at. I’m looking around, and one of the shop hands comes up and joking says "if ya see anything squishy, don’t poke it!" Needless to say, I tend not to poke such things, but I still ask why? Here was my answer.

"A octopus escaped, just happened to be a blue ring octopus hehehehe"

WTF!!! Why on earth would someone for starters want a blue ring octopus! 17minutes from time of sting(which you don’t feel cause its potent enough that it instantly numbs the area) till you die!!! Like dead, like no more! It kills you through paralysis of the lungs. There is no anti-venom known on the planet!! Its 1000 times more lethal than cyanide!!! One golf ball sized little oct carries enough venom to kill between 20-30 full grown adults! Next! They are ugly unless they are ****ed off! When you see blue, get lost, that’s what it means! The only way to survive is artificially pumping your lungs till it wears off! Creation of anti-venom is essentially putting in to a horse or other creature that can combat the venom and taking the antibodies to create something that can combat the venom. So.. reason would state, if there is no known anti-venom. That means nothing survives it naturally! So why have one!

ok.. phew.. got that out. I mean I own a stonefish, but keeping a Bluering is retarded in my opinion. No one should keep them. Its like going to a shooting range with a nuclear device! Don’t worry boys, just given the ol'bomb a test run, see if its still ticking!

Oyy.... that was a frustrating day at the store.. and to think, the tank wasn’t even locked down, they just closed the sliding tops.. ya, cause that stops cephalopods from escaping every time!!

Ok, now my amusing conundrum!

So I haven’t put anything into my tank since June. I suddenly have flatworms and aptasia around my tank and apparently it just popped up out of no where.. so if it wasn’t invite, it must get evicted.. so I naturally go to remove it all.. first squirt all the aps, then feed stone and eel, then proceed to do flatworm death additives!

After all this, im looking around my tank, thinking damn this looks good. Then I see it. The one thing that will bug me till I figure out how best to kill it. 1 Last piece of aptastia. I might mention, its growing on the back of my stonefish. Not just the back, but right by venom spines 3&4. How do you kill that little aps bugger when its there!!

I have to think on that one for a few days..
Old 10-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Very carefully
Old 10-21-2011, 12:20 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

Did you actually see this blue ring?

"everyone lies"

There is no way an animal like that would be legal to import let alone sell
Old 10-21-2011, 12:44 PM

howdy20012002 is on a distinguished road

I don't think that it is illegal to import blue ringed octopus.
I know I have seen them for sale on my wholesaler's list of available livestock.
Personally, I dont see the point of bring anything in that can kill me and is such a hard fish to keep alive.
Neal

Last edited by howdy20012002; 10-21-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Octo's are not fish.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:58 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

"Hey honey, comme pet my new octopus--he's friendly, don't worry! Uh... officer, I told her not to touch it..."
Old 10-21-2011, 12:59 PM

silentcivilian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
Octo's are not fish.
Hey, I refered to them as a cephalopod! Haha, and they are entirely legal to order in, but my understanding is, the guy just wanted the more expensive octopus. Likely didnt know what he was getting into. Even the store didnt know how poisonous they are! They thought it was like lionfish bad! But what bugged me was the lack of respect for it, they fact they didnt put more effort in ensuring that it couldnt escape.

As for my conundrum!

Yes.. very carefully! haha
Old 10-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Not sure if the laws have been updated, but I've seen a couple blue rings for sale in town here many years back..
Old 10-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

One of the local stores here got a blue ring in. I was absolutely appalled, little kids came into that store all the time and had their fingers everywhere. I realize the odds are really low of getting nailed as the octos seemed very reclusive but jeez!! They usually died within a couple weeks of arriving though. Didn't stop them from ordering another one, eventually they just got regular octos in and finally stopped after about the 5th or 6th one died

Good luck with that last aiptasia. Yikes!

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:08 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

The octo thing isn't really something to joke around about, pretty scary to think of it being loose in the store and they don't know where it went to

As for the aiptasia I wouldn't go there personally, good luck to you!