Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics hardware related only)

Old 12-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Valving and slowing down a pump creates back pressure on the pump. Bad to have back pressure.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:41 PM

MoreDakka is on a distinguished road

Hmm....damn LFS always giving me bad info. They say that if you valve the pump that it will adjust it's voltage to compensate in turn using less power... I know nothing of the inner workings of a pump so I'm assuming I'm just being takin' for a ride.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:42 PM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
Valving and slowing down a pump creates back pressure on the pump. Bad to have back pressure.
Not necessarily, reeflo pumps for example run more efficiently if valved off a little. They actually recommend it. Valving off a discharge is the equivalent of more head pressure.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Codfather View Post
Not necessarily, reeflo pumps for example run more efficiently if valved off a little. They actually recommend it. Valving off a discharge is the equivalent of more head pressure.
He's talking about Mag pumps or their equivalents. I've always been told that valving off Mags & similar pumps is a no-no. I've never done it so I have no personal experience of it causing a pump to fail. If I'm wrong, then I apologize for passing on bad info. However I was told this by several experienced reefers.

Anybody valved off Mags or similar pumps on here & if so, what has been your experience??

Anthony
Old 12-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreDakka View Post
Yep, I've got the pump valved and slowed down. It's not the flow I'm worried about it's the fact my whole tank vibrates with this thing and it sounds like a blender... I'm looking for something that's quiet, not something that I can hear 2 levels down :-/

Those eheim pumps are wicked expensive. However the sicce pumps seem to be reasonable. Are they reliable?
IMO the sicce pumps are one of the more reliable pumps out there, personally the best pumps I've ever owned were Laguna pumps tho but they can get expensive
Old 12-07-2013, 12:29 AM

byee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
He's talking about Mag pumps or their equivalents. I've always been told that valving off Mags & similar pumps is a no-no. I've never done it so I have no personal experience of it causing a pump to fail. If I'm wrong, then I apologize for passing on bad info. However I was told this by several experienced reefers.

Anybody valved off Mags or similar pumps on here & if so, what has been your experience??

Anthony
Anthony,

I bought a Mag 5 but returned it for the Mag 7. What's the optimal number of times a tank needs to circulated?

I'm setting up a 45g cube with a 25 gallon sump.

Thoughts?
Old 12-13-2013, 04:47 AM

byee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
Just put a piece of foam rubber under it. I ran a mag9.5 for 5 years and it was silent with a pad under it, other wise the vibration goes through the glass bottom of the sump and can be loud. I had mine throttled down (discharge side only) for the five years with no issues, the new owner has no problems with it either. With a larger pump you can also tee off of the discharge and use the extra flow to run reactors or divert flow to a refugium, etc.
intarsiabox

What type of foam rubber did you put under your pump?

I would like to do the same with my setup.

Thanks!